TekBots

This bulletin board will help connect the developers and supporters of TekBots with users from OSU and other schools.
It is currently Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Resources to run Windows virtually on Mac
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:59 pm 

The Lattice software used in this lab works best on Windows. If you are using a Mac and would like to use your own machine for the lab, you'll need to either dual boot or virtualize Windows. Below are the resources needed to virtualize Windows on Mac.

As a student at OSU you have access to a temporary license for both Windows (7 or 8), and VMware Fusion.

To get the Windows license and the Windows image:
1. Go here and sign in to TEACH with your engineering information: https://secure.engr.oregonstate.edu:800 ... =want_auth
2. On the navigation panel on the right, click Microsoft Dreamspark Login.
3. Choose either Windows 7 or 8 (it's your choice, either should work fine).
4. Follow the instructions to download your desired Windows image and attain your license key.

To get VMware Fusion, the virtualization software:
1. Again, go here and sign in to TEACH (if you are not already signed in): https://secure.engr.oregonstate.edu:800 ... =want_auth
2. On the navigation panel on the right, click VMware Academic Site Login.
3. Choose VMware Fusion 5 or 6 (your choice, either should work fine).
4. Follow the instructions to download VMware Fusion and license it.

To create the virtual machine, open VMware Fusion and click File > New. Then follow the on screen instructions to configure the machine (note: you'll need the Windows image file downloaded earlier). The default configuration settings should work fine for our needs, but feel free to configure it however you see fit.

If you have any problems with this procedure please comment and I will adjust it to be more clear.

Post subject: Other methods to run Windows programs on a Mac
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:48 pm 

Hey so in class today (3/30/15) I mentioned the possibility of running Diamond Lattice through a few other programs if you are using a Mac. The ones I mentioned specifically are Wine and Bootcamp. Bootcamp is a Windows virtualization program that can be run on Macintosh systems, but Wine is a bit different. It's name literally stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator", and it used to be called Darwine if you've heard of it under that name before.

Why should you use Wine instead of Bootcamp? Well, you don't have to swap operating systems constantly - you can run your program in a window on your device without having to install an entire OS, or have to shut down your computer when swapping between them! It's great if you only need to run a couple of Windows programs and don't want to run an entire OS or virtual machine just for one application.

Anyways, I want to give a quick tutorial on how to get Wine working, since some may find it easier to use than a virtual machine.
Before that, I want to mention that I've had on and off compatibility problems using it in the past, you absolutely must be sure to check that the verion of Wine you are using is compatible with your OS version. 99% of the time the latest version of Wine will work with the latest version of iOS 100% of the time.

Make sure to update before going further in this instruction set!!!

Most importantly, the site link for reading up on Wine (NOT A DOWNLOAD LINK, THAT COMES LATER): http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/17376/wine
*There are some minor requirements, copy/pasting from the site:
Intel
OS X 10.5 or later
X11 or XQuartz

You need to install XCode if you haven't already. A lot of people have it installed if they play games using their computer, but if you don't, Google that and find the latest version. Then, do the same for XQuartz.

At this point, double-check you have the latest version of Java, this is EXTREMELY important when you do further installs.

Now we're going to get another program called Homebrew. This is what Wine cooperates with while it's running. There's techy stuff behind it, but that's another story. Google it and find the latest version, or what is compatible with your OS version. This is where it is important to heed the warnings I gave earlier. The install is fairly easy, and is universal for all OS versions this side of the century line. You will want to open terminal and use this command;
ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homeb ... er/install)"
***You may or may not need the "$", I honestly forgot whether that was necessary or not.

Afterwards, the terminal should walk you through the steps. Proceed as instructed. SETTING A PASSWORD IS REQUIRED AND WILL BE USED FREQUENTLY.
The following commands will be necessary in this order when it prompts for them:
brew doctor
sudo xcodebuild -license
brew install wine

You should get a wall of text, that's fine. Don't worry about it.
If you get actual error messages, it's because you didn't install the proper version of XCode back at the beginning. This is no big deal, just uninstall the version you have and make sure to get the right one next time. Hunting down the right one can be annoying, but is 100% necessary.

There you have it, Wine is installed! Now, there are some further steps necessary to install individual programs and actually run them, but I'm attaching a link to a website that has a full tutorial on those, as well as a tutorial on what I stated above, with visuals and a lot more words I didn't want to pain you guys with.
http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

Enjoy guys, hope this helps someone!

~Evan Anderson

Post subject: Re: Resources to run Windows virtually on Mac
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:28 pm 

Good post. Homebrew is pretty neat on OSX.

I would like to add that if you are trying to access the USB->Serial interface to load your FPGA, there will need to be a proper symlink to the FTDI device in your ~/.wine/dosdevices , assuming that OS X has FTDI drivers.

Code:
cd ~/.wine/
mkdir dosdevices && cd dosdevices
ln -sv /dev/tty****** com1

Also 10.8 and later is known to have an Apple driver for FTDI, so if someone wants to use the FTDI drivers then to unload the apple drivers use...

Code:

sudo kextunload –b com.apple.driver.AppleUSBFTDI

If you want to add this to your post that would be great and I'll just delete this post.