TekBots

This bulletin board will help connect the developers and supporters of TekBots with users from OSU and other schools.
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dealing with SendStringUART()
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:56 pm 

Email I got today

<email>
After talking to you in your office hours today and removing the blocking from the SendByte/String function and moving it to the main function, I noticed that I only get the first character in my string to display and then I get hex output. It seems that in the loop function for sending the string, there needs to be a delay before executing the next iteration.

It seems that there are 2 possible ways to do this, each being placeable in either the string or byte function.

2 ways:

{*} block in the send byte function that makes sure transmission is complete,
[*] add a delay to the function.

It seems that the blocking for transmission completion would be cleaner and wouldn't cause unecessary delay based on selecting a wring time delay.

What would you recommend?

blocking: while (!(UCSR1A & (1 << UDRIE1)));
delay: _delay_ms(1);

<reply>
The desired function of these functions is the the SendByteUART is very fast with no blocking. This means it either returns a 1 or copies a value into UDR1 and returns a 0. To use this in the SendStringUART() you would start by sending the first byte. If this returns a success (0) then you could jump into a loop that sends each remaining character in the string is succession. HOWEVER, you need to watch the return value on these subsequent SendByteUART() calls. If it returns a 1, keeping trying to send that character until it works then move to the next character.

-Don