NOT NEWS, BUT OF INTEREST
OSU ranked in top 1 percent of degree-granting higher education institutions
Oregon State University has been ranked in the top 1 percent of degree-granting institutions of higher education in the world by the Center for University World Rankings. Some of OSU’s strengths included the number of research citations and quality of education. Life@OSU
Jaguar Land Rover expanding Portland startup incubator
Jaguar Land Rover is expanding its Northwest Portland research center, adding space where it can keep working with graduates of its in-house startup incubator. The company said Wednesday it has broken ground on a 20,000-square-foot expansion to its site in the Pearl District, and it will add 30 engineers to the site when it opens later this year. The company currently has 80 employees in Portland. The Oregonian
Microsoft plans 2,850 layoffs in the upcoming year
The Redmond company – which employs 114,000 people around the world, including nearly 45,000 in the Puget Sound region – already eliminated 7,400 employees in the past fiscal year, which ended June 30. Most of the layoffs resulted from Microsoft’s struggling smartphone business. Puget Sound Business Journal
Undergraduate Summer Research Symposium
The Office of Undergraduate Studies is organizing an Undergraduate Summer Research Symposium (USRS) to be held at OSU on August 30 in LINC 314. The symposium is open to all OSU undergraduates - those conducting research this summer, and those that have conducted research earlier. The symposium is an excellent opportunity for undergraduates to share their research with others. All participants will be eligible for the Research Fellow Transcript Notation. http://undergraduate.oregonstate.edu/research/transcript-notation. Register by by July 29 to participate.
2016 IEEE Maker Project
This is your opportunity to show the world the work that has been keeping you up at night. So if you are tirelessly tinkering with a tech project that solves complex problems and has applications in the real world, and can use an extra $500, we want to hear from you. Top vote-getters in each category will be sent to our expert panel of judges who will select one finalist from each category. Deadline: September 17, 2016
CS 446/519: Networks in Computational Biology - Fall 2016
Are you interested in bioinformatics? Want to know what computational biology is all about? Check out CS 446/519! In this course you will:
- get to do a research project related to analyzing a large network
- learn about CS tools for analyzing and modeling networks
- use Python and R packages for data analysis and network analysis
- improve your skills in data science related to network inference
- learn about networks in biology – no biology background required
Non-CS students who are proficient in programming are welcome!
America’s Greatest Makers Season 2
Calling all makers, inventors, designers, and engineers! Intel, legendary Executive Producer Mark Burnett, MGM Television and Turner Broadcasting are looking for the most innovative makers to join Season 2 of America's Greatest Makers. Do you have an amazing idea for the next big smart connected device? Apply now for the chance to make your dream a reality using Intel's latest technology including the Intel Curie Module and upcoming advanced developer platforms that can connect to a broad array of input and output devices (including cameras and displays). Winner walks away with $1 million dollars! What will YOU make? Application deadline: August 19.
MS Final Examination – Eric Marshall
Monday, August 8, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM, KEC 3114
An Empirical Evaluation of Policy Rollout for Clue
Major Advisor: Alan Fern; Committee: Prasad Tadepalli, Sinisa Todorovic
How To Land a Tech Job in Oregon
Wednesday, September 7, 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM, Simple - 1615 Southeast 3rd Avenue #200, Portland, OR (Tickets $15 for students, $20 others)
Join Mac’s List at our next quarterly networking event to learn more about job opportunities in the technology sector. Our panel of Portland-area tech experts will share their perspectives on the rapidly growing industry, identify the most in-demand skills, and explain how to improve your chances of landing a job with a tech company. This special event kick-starts the 2016 Portland Tech Crawl and will give you the knowledge and confidence you need to network with technology firms.
JOB SEARCH AND CAREER ADVICE
9 Cliche Interview Answers That You Think Are Original (But Hiring Managers Think Are Blah)
Have you ever been guilty of telling a job interviewer that you’re “extremely” organized? Maybe you’ve even bragged that you’re a hard worker, or about how passionate you are about the company (even if it sells watches or insurance). We asked nine entrepreneurs from YEC to share the worst responses they’ve heard from candidates so that you can avoid those boring, rehearsed answers, too. The Muse
Should you take a full-time job offer from your internship?
You crushed your internship — nice work, by the way! — so much so that the company has offered you a full-time job. For the first time in your life, you have a salary in front of you, benefits and a fancy professional title to append to your resume. There’s no reason not to take the offer, right? In reality, you might be leaving a better option on the table by not exploring other opportunities. Then again, it may be the right call to stay at a place you know and are familiar with. So what do you do? Monster
4 Things Every Engineering Student Should Have on Their Resume
When it comes to technical work (e.g. math, science, engineering, etc.), there are 4 key “pillars” that you should have on your resume that will help you stand out from the masses and get hired. If you focus your efforts on those 4 things, you’ll be in a strong position to get your foot in the door with recruiters. It's all about showing how you're different from the thousands of other students in your graduating class who also took physics and have a >3.0 GPA. That can't be all you have on your resume. JobHero
Design Lab Undergraduate Research Assistant - School of Mechanical, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
This position is for a lab Computer Science Guru functioning as a web developer in the Design Lab. The developer will be in charge of writing Python scripts assisting with research, maintaining the Design Engineering Lab research site, and helping solve computer-related questions in the lab. We are looking for someone to fill this position long-term, hopefully throughout her/his undergraduate career.
Student Developer - Center of Applied Systems and Software (CASS)
The Center for Applied Systems and Software (CASS) partners with industry and organizations to create a student experiential learning program. Students are hired and trained by full time developers to perform computer hardware and software testing, and/or development projects. Student internships average 1-3 years in length and most graduates are hired by technology companies. In addition to the technical and development skills students gain, they also learn how to work as a member of a team, gain an appreciation of the importance of deadlines, and other facets of running a business such as planning, budgeting, resource allocation, documentation and communication.
Web Services Assistant - Oregon State University Libraries & Press
This recruitment will be used to fill two part-time (a maximum of 20 hours per week) Student Information Technology positions with the Emerging Technologies & Services Department in the Oregon State University Libraries & Press. This is an opportunity to help support the web needs of the OSU Libraries and Press. Duties include web-page maintenance, web page development, assist with usability testing.
Rail Yard Automation Software Engineer (Technical Career Path) - Union Pacific
This position will provide support for the Hump Process Control (HPC) engineers while learning and understanding all technical details of the HPC system. The position will lead the technical design, development, and implementation of yard modeling and optimization tools. This position will also support the architecture design, development, and implementation of an acceptance test lab and advanced simulation environment for the HPC and FPC systems. Primary focuses are software engineering activities including: Gathering and defining technical requirements; planning software development activities; providing technical leadership of onshore and offshore software development teams; performing software development in C, C++, and/or Java; supporting the implementation, monitoring and maintenance of deployed systems while ensuring systems meet functionality, reliability and performance goals.
Energy Management Systems Engineer (Technical Career Path) - Union Pacific
This position will perform the technical effort of testing Energy Management systems, create and execute test plans and cases, and oversee lab testing efforts. The position will also define functional requirements, specify system interfaces, analyze performance, work with vendors, maintain back office systems, and manage the deployment and health of the Energy Management system. The position is responsible for working with multiple vendors and departments to develop, implement, operate and improve the system. Energy Management systems are deployed onboard locomotives to aid the engineer in the safe and fuel efficient operation of the train (managing fuel, speed, force) by modeling train dynamics over the territory, determining proper speed profile, computing train physics in real time and providing automated control of the locomotive throttle and brake system.
WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff is hiring for over 500+ jobs across the U.S.
WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff, one of the world’s leading engineering and professional services consulting firms, is looking to fill 500+ job vacancies across the U.S. in cities such as New York, Miami, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Dallas, and many more. Our U.S. region comprises over 6,000 employees in more than 100 offices working on hundreds of high profile projects across multiple market sectors including advisory; buildings; environment; industrial and energy; and transportation and infrastructure.
Partial list of jobs posted in the past week through LinkedIn (these are just a few of the hundreds of jobs listed). Sample jobs:
- Systems Engineer Asc | Lockheed Martin - Silverdale, WA
- Power Electronics Engineer | SpaceX - Redmond, WA
- Systems Analyst | Cambia Health Solutions - Portland, OR
- Full-Stack Python Web App Engineer | CloudBolt Software, Inc. - Portland, OR
- Controls/Machine Automation Engineer | Fives - Seattle, WA
- Software Developer Engineer | Hearst Business Media - Seattle, WA
- Systems Engineer | MailChimp - Seattle, WA
- Cyber Security Engineer | City of Tacoma - Tacoma, WA
- Hardware Quality Engineer | Amazon - Seattle, WA
- VR Engineer | Lockwood Publishing Ltd - Brighton, OR
- Application Developer | Merchant e-Solutions - Spokane, WA
- Software Engineer | SkyKick - Seattle, WA
- Software Engineer in Test | SkyKick - Seattle, WA
- Build Engineer | SkyKick - Seattle, WA
- Software Engineer | GE Digital - Seattle, WA
- Software Quality Test Engineer | GE Digital - Seattle, WA
Don’t forget to check out the AfterCollege job site, tailored especially for our EECS students:
- Emerging Talent - Software Development | Yahoo! - Sunnyvale, California
- Software Dev Engineer I | Expedia - Bellevue, Washington
- Software Development Engineer - Test | Amazon - Seattle, Washington
- Software Development Engineer - Data Science | Amazon - Seattle, Washington
- Associate Network Engineer | Nexius - Redmond, Washington
- Aviation Software Engineer 1 | Garmin International, Inc. - Salem, Oregon
- Linux Support Engineer- Recent Grads | Amazon - Seattle, Washington
- Autopilot Software and UI New Grad | Tesla Motors - Palo Alto, California
- Mobile Quality Engineer | Tile - San Mateo, California
- Entry Level DSP C/C++ Embedded Software Engineer | General Dynamics Mission Systems - Scottsdale, Arizona
- Software Engineer - College Grad | Qualtrics - Seattle, Washington
- Software Engineer - New Grad | Yelp, Inc. - San Francisco, California
- Junior Systems Administrator | Realogy Corporation - Emeryville, California
- Junior Android Engineer | ZipRealty - Emeryville, California
- Systems Engineer I 2016 SVTAD New College Hire | Raytheon Company - San Diego, California
- Electrical Subsystems - Electrical Engineer I | Raytheon Company - Tucson, Arizona
- Electrical Engineer I - Analog Power | Raytheon Company - Tucson, Arizona
- RFIC Design Engineers | Qualcomm - San Diego, California
- DevOps Engineer | Graphiq - Santa Barbara, California
- ASIC/ Layout Design Engineer 2 | Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Sunnyvale, California
- Electronics Engineer | Lockheed Martin - Littleton, Colorado
Want to include an item in this newsletter? Send the info here.