Associate professor Anita Sarma's paper, “Hiring in the Global Stage: Profiles of Online Contributions,” won the best paper award at the IEEE International Conference on Global Software Engineering.
IN THE NEWS
Microsoft researchers enable secure data exchange in the cloud
New research from Microsoft aims to unlock the full value of encrypted data by using the cloud itself to perform secure data trades between multiple willing parties in a way that provides users full control over how much information the exchange reveals. “This secure data exchange emulates that, but without the need for the trusted colleague,” says paper co-author Peter Rindal, a PhD candidate at Oregon State University who is in his second internship at Microsoft and an expert on secure multiparty computation. Microsoft
NOT NEWS, BUT OF INTEREST
Boeing software unit to open new analytics lab in Vancouver, B.C.
The aerospace heavyweight will potentially add another 50 workers — data scientists and software engineers — to the new downtown facility. The new Vancouver lab involving Boeing's software affiliate, Aeroinfo, will focus on rapidly identifying and developing software to help carriers make their operations more efficient while lowering costs. Puget Sound Business Journal
Vancouver company wants to put the region on the 'mechatronics' map
“Mechatronics” is how Simplexity CEO Dorota Shortell describes the company’s engineering specialty. “We define mechatronics as a cross disciplinary endeavor that requires advanced skills in mechanical, electrical, computer and motion controls engineering,” she said. Simplexity’s Vancouver office has grown fast – with 60 percent business growth just last year – and now has 30 employees, making it the same size as their San Diego office. Portland Business Journal
Intel: 'we have a ways to go on our journey to making Intel a truly inclusive place'
Intel reported only modest progress Wednesday in its effort to diversify the company's workforce, reporting slight gains in the representation of women and underrepresented minorities. Before Intel launched its initiative, more than three-quarters of its workers were men and just 8 percent were African-American, Hispanic or Native American. Women now constitute 25.4 percent of Intel's workforce, up nearly 2 percentage points since December 2014. The total share of underrepresented minorities is flat. The Oregonian
MindSumo End of Summer CS Student Projects
Please review the latest computer science projects from MindSumo. MindSumo partners with employers to create projects that you can complete to get work experience, win prizes, and be hired for jobs and internships. Questions can be directed to email@example.com.
2016 IEEE Maker Project
This is your opportunity to show the world the work that has been keeping you up at night. So if you are tirelessly tinkering with a tech project that solves complex problems and has applications in the real world, and can use an extra $500, we want to hear from you. Top vote-getters in each category will be sent to our expert panel of judges who will select one finalist from each category. Deadline: September 17, 2016
CS 446/519: Networks in Computational Biology - Fall 2016
Are you interested in bioinformatics? Want to know what computational biology is all about? Check out CS 446/519! In this course you will:
- get to do a research project related to analyzing a large network
- learn about CS tools for analyzing and modeling networks
- use Python and R packages for data analysis and network analysis
- improve your skills in data science related to network inference
- learn about networks in biology – no biology background required
Non-CS students who are proficient in programming are welcome!
America’s Greatest Makers Season 2
Calling all makers, inventors, designers, and engineers! Intel, legendary Executive Producer Mark Burnett, MGM Television and Turner Broadcasting are looking for the most innovative makers to join Season 2 of America's Greatest Makers. Do you have an amazing idea for the next big smart connected device? Apply now for the chance to make your dream a reality using Intel's latest technology including the Intel Curie Module and upcoming advanced developer platforms that can connect to a broad array of input and output devices (including cameras and displays). Winner walks away with $1 million dollars! What will YOU make? Application deadline: August 19.
NSA Mathematics & Computer Science Student Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students working toward a degree (AA,AS, BA,BS, MS, PhD) in the fields of computer science, computer engineering, or mathematics. Minimum 3.0 GPA. Must be a U.S. Citizen.
NSA Electrical Engineering Student Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students pursuing a degree in the field of electrical engineering. Minimum 3.0 GPA. Must be a U.S. Citizen.
AfterCollege STEM Inclusion Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students working toward a degree in a field of Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics from a group underrepresented in their field of study. Underrepresented groups may be defined by: gender, race, ethnic background, disability, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, nationality and other non-visible differences. Minimum 3.0 GPA.
AfterCollege Succurro Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students in an accredited program, working toward a degree (AA, AS, BA, BS, MA, MS, MFA, PhD, MD, JD, etc.) in any discipline. Minimum 2.5 GPA.
MS Final Examination – Shijia Lin
Tuesday, August 16, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM, KEC 1007
ALD of Nb-doped TiO2 as a TCO and ALD of Laminate HfO2/Nb2O5 Bilayers as the Insulating Barrier for MIIM Diodes
Major Advisor: John Conley; Committee: John Wager, Nishit Murari; GCR: Jimmy Yang
MS Final Examination – Ajinkya Patil
Thursday, August 18, 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM, KEC 4107
Enhancing Instructors Teaching Experience through Virtualization
Major Advisor: Carlos Jensen; Committee: Mike Bailey, Rakesh Bobba; GCR: Kyle Niemeyer
How To Land a Tech Job in Oregon
Wednesday, September 7, 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM, Simple - 1615 Southeast 3rd Avenue #200, Portland, OR (Tickets $15 for students, $20 others)
Join Mac’s List at our next quarterly networking event to learn more about job opportunities in the technology sector. Our panel of Portland-area tech experts will share their perspectives on the rapidly growing industry, identify the most in-demand skills, and explain how to improve your chances of landing a job with a tech company. This special event kick-starts the 2016 Portland Tech Crawl and will give you the knowledge and confidence you need to network with technology firms.
JOB SEARCH AND CAREER ADVICE
Behind the Scenes: 3 Things Hiring Managers Actually Discuss After the Interview
Sure, there are a lot of conversations that happen before a candidate receives an offer, but the things your interviewers are discussing will probably surprise you. The Muse
5 tips for your video job interview
Companies are increasingly using Skype, FaceTime or other apps to avoid the expense of ferrying promising job candidates to and from headquarters as part of the vetting process. Let’s focus on the right way to approach a video interview with some practical dos and don’ts. Portland Business Journal
4 ways to make the most of your summer internship before it ends
Before heading back to campus, take time to capitalize on your summer experience and leave a lasting impression on your supervisor. A solid ending to your internship can propel you toward your future and help you accomplish your goals. So, instead of counting down the days from your cubicle, follow these tips to make the most of the home stretch. USA Today College
Student Information Technology - OSU RCRV Program at CEOAS
The RCRV Program at CEOAS (http://ceoas.oregonstate.edu/ships/rcrv/) is seeking a student worker to assist with system administration duties (hardware and software configurations) and also to assist with real‐time map and data visualization. The student shall work as part of an integration and development team that is prototyping a data system for Regional Class vessels.
Design Lab Undergraduate Research Assistant - School of Mechanical, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering
This position is for a lab Computer Science Guru functioning as a web developer in the Design Lab. The developer will be in charge of writing Python scripts assisting with research, maintaining the Design Engineering Lab research site, and helping solve computer-related questions in the lab. We are looking for someone to fill this position long-term, hopefully throughout her/his undergraduate career.
Web Services Assistant - Oregon State University Libraries & Press
This recruitment will be used to fill two part-time (a maximum of 20 hours per week) Student Information Technology positions with the Emerging Technologies & Services Department in the Oregon State University Libraries & Press. This is an opportunity to help support the web needs of the OSU Libraries and Press. Duties include web-page maintenance, web page development, assist with usability testing.
Analyst Programmer - OSU University Shared Services Enterprise
The purpose of this position is to perform systems analysis and design, determine application systems and programming specifications, write and test computer programs, write documentation, and provide on-going maintenance and support of the USSE supported Banner ERP systems, data warehouses, and other related systems.
Java Developer - Marathon
Marathon develops and maintains software applications for general contractors and property managers. We are looking for a Java Developer with experience in building and maintaining scalable business applications to help expedite our development of new modules and reduce the maintenance backlog. You will be primarily responsible for efficiently developing, implementing and maintaining presentation and logic tiers however a solid understanding of persistence and data tiers is required. We are looking for expertise in the full software development lifecycle from concept and design to testing.
Analog/Mixed Signal Design Engineer - Intel
As an Analog/Mixed Signal Design Engineer, you will be part of a team designing IO and memory interfaces on advanced process nodes and have an opportunity work on a diverse set of blocks and tasks in all phases of the design. The successful candidate's minimum qualifications will include the following: BS in Electrical Engineering or equivalent with a minimum of 2 years of experience in analog mixed signal or high speed design; direct experience with analog and mixed signal circuits like amplifiers, comparators, high speed digital circuits etc.; exposure to analog/mixed signal circuit design flow, layout and running post-layout simulations; good understanding of Verilog, PNR and static timing analysis.
Assistant Professor of Computer Science (2 positions) - Western Washington University
We are a growing department looking for new tenure-track faculty excited by the prospect of shaping our department's future and contributing to its sustained excellence. All areas of specialization will be considered but preference will be given to candidates focused in one of the following areas: Embedded Systems, Cloud Computing, Internet Technologies, Security, Graphics. The ideal candidate will teach existing courses at the undergraduate and graduate level and develop a research program that involves students.
Assistant Professor of Computer Science and Science Education (2 positions) - Western Washington University
These positions will be joint appointments between WWU's CS Department and the Science, Math and Technology Education (SMATE) Program at WWU. The ideal candidate will help to expand SMATE’s reach by incorporating computer science into Western’s science and mathematics teacher preparation programs. The teaching load will be distributed between courses offered in computer science and courses offered in SMATE. An active research program in computer science education is expected.
Partial list of jobs posted in the past week through LinkedIn (these are just a few of the hundreds of jobs listed). Sample jobs:
- Software Developer | VanderHouwen & Associates, Inc. - Seattle, WA
- System Administrator (Unix/Linux) | InterFusion International, Inc. - Bellevue, WA
- Software Engineer, Ads | VIZIO - Seattle, WA
- Software Developer | Steelcase - Portland, OR
- iOS Mobile Developer | iovation Inc. - Portland, OR
- Test Automation Engineer (12 month assignment) | Synopsys Inc - Seattle, WA
- Software Engineer | Globys Inc - Seattle, WA
- Software Engineer | McGraw-Hill Education - Seattle, WA
- Full-Stack Developer (C#/SQL/HTML/CSS/JS) | M2 Information Systems - Edmonds, WA
- Imaging Scientist/Firmware Engineer | HP - Vancouver, WA
- Firmware Engineer | HP - Vancouver, WA
- Python Programmer | Macropace Technologies - Hillsboro, OR
- junior programmer | Macropace Technologies - Hillsboro, OR
- Electrical EIT | CTA Architects Engineers - Seattle, WA
- Machine Learning System Engineer | Intel Corporation - Hillsboro, OR
- 2016-17 MS Intern Opportunities | Intel Corporation - Hillsboro, OR
- 2017 New Graduates - Business Analyst | Amazon - Seattle, WA
- Quality Assurance Engineer | Amazon - Seattle, WA
- DevOps / Automation Engineer | Mindlance - Portland, OR
- SW Plugin Developer | Mindlance - Portland, OR
- Associate Application Security Engineer | Salesforce - San Francisco
- Embedded Software Engineer (Algorithms Development Team) | Magic Leap - Mountain View, CA
- Machine Learning for Autonomous Vehicles Research Engineer | Ford Motor Company - Palo Alto, CA
- Intern: Product Engineer | SanDisk, a Western Digital Brand - Milpitas, CA
- Hardware Development Electrical Engineer | SpaceX - Seattle, WA
- Electronic Engineer - Analog | XP Power - Sutter Creek, CA
- Applications Engineer | Cypress Semiconductor Corporation - Lynnwood, WA
- Product Mktg Engineer Aerospace and Defense | Cypress Semiconductor Corporation - San Jose, CA
- Project Engineer | Helix Electric - Sacramento, CA
- Hardware Digital: RTL Design | Spectraforce Technologies - Santa Clara, CA
Don’t forget to check out the AfterCollege job site, tailored especially for our EECS students:
- Java Developer | GE - Redmond, Washington
- Junior Software Developer | Xero - San Francisco, California
- Java Developer - PATH | University of California - Berkeley, California
- Java Software Engineer | Remilon - Mountain View, California
- Software Dev Engineer I | Amazon - Tempe, Arizona
- Application Developer | University of California - Davis, California
- Entry-Level Application Developer- Campus Recruiting | State of Oregon - Portland, Oregon
- Calendar and Contacts Software Engineer | Apple - Santa Clara, California
- Software Engineer, New Grad (Seattle) | Airbnb, Inc. - San Francisco, California
- Entry Level Programmer | University of California - Davis, California
- Junior Network Automation Engineer | Sony Playstation - Aliso Viejo, California
- Software Engineer, Entry Level | The Boeing Company - Huntington Beach, California
- Software Engineer I / CTO Assistant | Teradata Corporation - San Diego, California
- Entry-Level C/C++ Embedded Software Engineer | General Dynamics Mission Systems - Scottsdale, Arizona
- 2017 Internships | Yahoo! - Sunnyvale, California
- Junior Software Engineer | Milliman - Seattle, Washington
- Software Developer in Test- New Grad- Big Data | Splunk - Palo Alto, California
- Software Engineer, Junior | Booz Allen Hamilton Inc. - Seattle, Washington
- University Programs: Software Engineer I | Raytheon Company - Goleta, California
- New Grad - Member of Technical Staff - NSX Controller | VMware - Palo Alto, California
- Junior Data Engineer | Allstate - Menlo Park, California
- Electrical Engineer - Entry Level | Carollo Engineers - Costa Mesa, California
- Electronics Engineer | Lockheed Martin - Littleton, Colorado
- Junior Signal Processing Engineer | Leidos - Arlington, Texas
- Electrical Hardware Engineer (New Graduate) | L-3 Communications - San Diego, California
- Electrical Assistant Engineer | WSP - Englewood, Colorado
- 2017 Graduate CPU Performance Engineer | ARM - Chandler, Arizona
- Entry Level System Test & Qualification Engineer | General Atomics - San Diego, California
- Entry-Level C/C++ Embedded Software Engineer | General Dynamics Mission Systems - Scottsdale, Arizona
- Electrical Engineer I | Freeport-Mcmoran Copper & Gold Inc. - Tyrone, New Mexico
Want to include an item in this newsletter? Send the info here.