IN THE NEWS
View From The Top: Bruce Hofer, Audio Precision
In the Summer of Love, young Oregonian Bruce Hofer (EE 1970) took a job at Tektronix, the test and measurement devices company, while on summer break from Oregon State University where he was a rising senior. Upon graduation, he was invited back for a full-time job where he designed precision time bases and horizontal deflection amplifiers for Tektronix’s 7000 Series of oscilloscopes. Pro Sound News
NOT NEWS, BUT OF INTEREST
Silicon Forest Provides Fertile Ground For Startups
Over a four-year stretch, venture capital in Oregon has steadily grown, soaring to $226 million in 2015 -- 20% over the previous year, the Oregonian notes. The cities in the greater Portland area are throwing their support to funding-challenged startups with the hopes of possibly creating the next Facebook or Google to help drive economic development and their communities at large. Information Week
Starbucks ramps up tech hiring, again
Just three months after Starbucks said it was hiring 100 tech workers to add to the almost 1,000 it already had, many of those positions are filled and the company is at it again. The Seattle coffee giant is one of the largest technology employers in the region and by continuing to invest in technology and beef up its mobile offerings, Starbucks can stay competitive in the current market. Puget Sound Business Journal
2016 IEEE Maker Project
This is your opportunity to show the world the work that has been keeping you up at night. So if you are tirelessly tinkering with a tech project that solves complex problems and has applications in the real world, and can use an extra $500, we want to hear from you. Top vote-getters in each category will be sent to our expert panel of judges who will select one finalist from each category. Deadline: September 17, 2016
NSA Mathematics & Computer Science Student Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students working toward a degree (AA,AS, BA,BS, MS, PhD) in the fields of computer science, computer engineering, or mathematics. Minimum 3.0 GPA. Must be a U.S. Citizen.
NSA Electrical Engineering Student Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students pursuing a degree in the field of electrical engineering. Minimum 3.0 GPA. Must be a U.S. Citizen.
AfterCollege STEM Inclusion Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students working toward a degree in a field of Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics from a group underrepresented in their field of study. Underrepresented groups may be defined by: gender, race, ethnic background, disability, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, nationality and other non-visible differences. Minimum 3.0 GPA.
AfterCollege Succurro Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students in an accredited program, working toward a degree (AA, AS, BA, BS, MA, MS, MFA, PhD, MD, JD, etc.) in any discipline. Minimum 2.5 GPA.
Wednesday, August 31, Kearney Hall, Room 305
Complimentary MATLAB seminar for educators, academic researchers and students at Oregon State University
Session One: 10:00am – 12:00pm (registration and sign-in begins at 9:45am) Introduction to MATLAB and Parallel Computing In this session, we will demonstrate how to acquire, visualize, and analyze data to support various data analysis workflows. We will also discuss way to speed up analysis by using parallel and distributed computing techniques.
Session Two: 12:30pm – 1:30pm (registration and sign-in begins at 12:15pm) Teaching with MATLAB In this session, MathWorks engineers will discuss the latest resources and tools that faculty can use for developing engaging MATLAB-based courses that are flexible, maintainable and expandable – while preparing the students for their careers.
How To Land a Tech Job in Oregon
Wednesday, September 7, 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM, Simple - 1615 Southeast 3rd Avenue #200, Portland, OR (Tickets $15 for students, $20 others)
Join Mac’s List at our next quarterly networking event to learn more about job opportunities in the technology sector. Our panel of Portland-area tech experts will share their perspectives on the rapidly growing industry, identify the most in-demand skills, and explain how to improve your chances of landing a job with a tech company. This special event kick-starts the 2016 Portland Tech Crawl and will give you the knowledge and confidence you need to network with technology firms.
JOB SEARCH AND CAREER ADVICE
7 Important Questions Every Job Seeker Should Ask Themselves
Whether you’re just beginning the job hunt or you’ve been searching for months, it’s important to regularly monitor your activities and reevaluate your strategy. Keep your job search on track by asking yourself the following questions throughout the job-search process. Job Interview Tips
5 Small Career Moves That Can Lead to Massive Results
There are plenty of totally manageable things that you can do for your career today that will pay off in dividends down the line. After all, no matter where you’re headed or how far away that feels, reaching a big goal is a series of much smaller steps. The Muse
6 Ways to Network While You're in College
It's never too early to start networking. And if you want a job when you complete your diploma, you've got to know people in the industry in which you want to work. So how should college students go about making new connections and getting the most out of them when they have a full course load—and a social schedule to boot? U.S. News
3 Ways People Mess Up the (Simple) Answer to "How Did You Come Across This Job Opportunity?"
Because I’ve seen some of the worst examples, here’s how you can avoid making the most common mistakes when talking about how you found the job. The Muse
Student Information Technology - OSU RCRV Program at CEOAS
The RCRV Program at CEOAS (http://ceoas.oregonstate.edu/ships/rcrv/) is seeking a student worker to assist with system administration duties (hardware and software configurations) and also to assist with real‐time map and data visualization. The student shall work as part of an integration and development team that is prototyping a data system for Regional Class vessels.
Information Technology Consultant - OSU University Housing & Dining Services
The Information Technology Consultant has a varying level of responsibility for direct consultative support and training to students, staff, and faculty on information technology-based systems primarily in the areas of applications, software, multimedia, database resources, server support, network support, and includes a moderate degree of hardware consultation and support.
Information Security Analyst - OSU Office of Information Services Central Administration
The Information Security Analyst (Analyst) identifies risks to information assets and data systems, ensuring compliance with university policies, industry standards, relevant regulations, and security best practices. Serving as a resource person, this position assesses systems, processes, and projects and interacts with internal and external technical staff and consults with project teams. The Analyst works closely with Information Services, other IT units, and Internal Audit to design, test, implement and operate an array of information security tools and devices. This position is involved in InfoSec Incident response, including forensics analysis.
Analyst Programmer - OSU University Shared Services Enterprise
The purpose of this position is to perform systems analysis and design, determine application systems and programming specifications, write and test computer programs, write documentation, and provide on-going maintenance and support of the USSE supported Banner ERP systems, data warehouses, and other related systems.
Java Developer - Marathon
Marathon develops and maintains software applications for general contractors and property managers. We are looking for a Java Developer with experience in building and maintaining scalable business applications to help expedite our development of new modules and reduce the maintenance backlog. You will be primarily responsible for efficiently developing, implementing and maintaining presentation and logic tiers however a solid understanding of persistence and data tiers is required. We are looking for expertise in the full software development lifecycle from concept and design to testing.
Partial list of jobs posted in the past week through LinkedIn (these are just a few of the hundreds of jobs listed). Sample jobs:
- Backend Software Engineer | Outreach, Inc. - Seattle, WA
- DevOps Engineer | Amazon - Seattle, WA
- BI Support Engineer | Amazon - Seattle, WA
- Software Development Engineer, Site Tools | Amazon - Seattle, WA
- 2017 New Grad Software Development Engineer | Amazon - Seattle, WA
- Software Development Engineer I | Amazon - Seattle, WA
- Software Engineer - Back End, Ruby on Rails | 52 Limited - Portland, Oregon Area
- Java Software Engineer - IT Digital Retail | REI - Kent, WA
- Fault Isolation Engineer | Intel Corporation - Hillsboro, OR
- FMS (Facility Management System Engineer) College Graduate | Intel Corporation - Hillsboro, OR
- 5G Design, Systems, SOC, RTL and Debug Engineer | Intel Corporation - Hillsboro, OR
- Software Engineer Grad | Pure Storage - Bellevue, WA
- Associate Engineer, Software | General Dynamics Information Technology - Keyport, WA
- Software Engineer SOLR Team | SALESFORCECOM INC - Bellevue, WA
- Software Engineer | Opera Software - Seattle, WA
- Programmer Analyst | SELCO Community Credit Union - Eugene, OR
- Application Developer | Booz Allen Hamilton - Seattle, WA
- Transmission Engineer I/II | Portland General Electric - Portland, OR
- Corporate Marketing Engineer (EE) | Mentor Graphics - Wilsonville, Oregon
- Electrical Engineer for New Graduates | The Brandt Companies - Dallas, OR
Don’t forget to check out the AfterCollege job site, tailored especially for our EECS students:
- Associate Software Engineer in Test | The Advisory Board Company - Austin, Texas
- Systems Engineer | Lockheed Martin - Littleton, Colorado
- Technology Experience (TechX) Associate Rotational Program | T-Mobile - Bellevue, Washington
- Software Engineer | Apple - Santa Clara, California
- Calendar and Contacts Frameworks Software Engineer | Apple - Santa Clara, California
- Entry-Level Application Developer- Campus Recruiting | CGI Group Inc. - Denver, Colorado
- iOS Engineer - iTunes U | Apple - Santa Clara, California
- New Graduate - Member of Technical Staff - NSX Controller | VMware - Palo Alto, California
- New Graduate - NSBU Control Plane & Data Plane Engineer | VMware - Palo Alto, California
- New Graduate - Member of Technical Staff - Network Routing Development Team | VMware - Palo Alto, California
- Hybrid Security/Wireless Engineer/Implementation Consultant, Junior | Booz Allen Hamilton Inc. - El Segundo, California
- Systems Infrastructure Engineer I | Raytheon Company - Richardson, Texas
- Associate Network Engineer | Nexius - Redmond, Washington
- Systems Engineer 1 | The Boeing Company - Mountain View, California
- Information Systems Post College Appointee | Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory - Livermore, California
- Computer Scientist Post College Appointee | Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory - Livermore, California
- Software Engineer I | The Standard - Portland, Oregon
- Software Development Engineer - College | Citrix Systems Inc. - Redmond, Washington
- Electronics Engineer Associate (Entry Level) | Lockheed Martin - Fort Worth, Texas
- Entry Level Electrical Engineer | Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LLC - Borger, Texas
- Graduate Electrical Engineer | Dashiell Corporation - Austin, Texas
- Firmware Engineer | Microsemi - Austin, Texas
- Entry Level Electrical Design and Analysis Engineer | The Boeing Company - El Segundo, California
- Electrical Engineer II - (E2) - New College Graduate | Applied Materials, Inc. - Santa Clara, California
- University Programs: Digital Signal Processing Engineer | Raytheon Company - Sunnyvale, California
Want to include an item in this newsletter? Send the info here.