IN THE NEWS
OSU Rocketry Club taking off after intercollegiate engineering victory
The Oregon State University Rocketry Club is never going to forget the summer of 2016. Two weeks ago, the OSU American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics club took home the top prize in the 10th annual ESRA Intercollegiate Rocket Engineering Competition in Green River, Utah – the biggest college rocket competition in the world. In 2014, they beat out 40-plus teams to win first place in the basic category at the IREC. Corvallis Gazette-Times
The Oregon State University branch of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (OSU AIAA) is flying high. Competing at the 11th annual Experimental Sounding Rocket Association Intercollegiate Rocket Engineering Competition (ESRA IREC) earlier this June, the OSU AIAA team took home first place in the Advanced Category. The OSU team consisted of 15 seniors that were further broken down into five sub-teams; integration, propulsion, aerodynamics and recovery, payload and avionics. The team had been working on the rocket and preparing for competition over the last nine months. The Daily Barometer
When Hollywood does AI, it's fun but farfetched
While researchers creating AI in Silicon Valley and collegiate computer science labs have their own theories about what this software will become, they've seen the movies just like us, and they know what's on our minds. Here are the best and worst examples of how the movies treat AI, from some of the people who work on the technology every day. "Creating AI will require vast financial and engineering resources. Think Google, and not two guys in a garage." -- Thomas Dietterich, professor of computer science, Oregon State University. CNET
NOT NEWS, BUT OF INTEREST
Is Amazon opening a Portland office?
When Amazon Web Services bought Portland’s Elemental Technologies, the tech community and economic development types saw it as a potential first step for the online giant in the Rose City. It appears that may be coming true. In April, Elemental announced it will be moving into the former Oregonian building taking 101,000 square-feet, a huge upgrade from its current 39,000 square feet. Portland Business Journal
HP is hiring. Here's the expanded Vancouver space where some newbies might work (Photos)
The company now has 275,000 square feet in Vancouver housing teams working on wearable devices and printing innovation. The print focus includes both traditional 2D printers but also the company’s 3D printing line, which it views as a huge part of its future. Portland Business Journal
The College Degrees With The Highest Starting Salaries In 2016
Chemical, computer and electrical engineering bachelors’ degree students, it would seem, are likely to walk into the most high-paying positions when they receive their diplomas and strut into the workforce. Among Masters Degrees, Engineering majors attracted the highest salaries at more than $68,000, followed by Computer Science & IT, and MBAs. PhD diplomas in Engineering & Computer Science bring in the highest starting pay. Forbes
College job hunt gets tougher as campus interviews fade
Newly minted college grads -- even upcoming seniors -- looking for jobs and internships might be surprised by their interviewer. It could be a machine. Fewer and fewer companies are visiting universities -- once considered a valuable recruiting tool for firms and a way for graduates to meet employees and better understand where their skills fit. Part of that is explained by an increasing preference for automated interviews. CNN Money
CS 446/519: Networks in Computational Biology - Fall 2016
Are you interested in bioinformatics? Want to know what computational biology is all about? Check out CS 446/519! In this course you will:
- get to do a research project related to analyzing a large network
- learn about CS tools for analyzing and modeling networks
- use Python and R packages for data analysis and network analysis
- improve your skills in data science related to network inference
- learn about networks in biology – no biology background required
Non-CS students who are proficient in programming are welcome!
America’s Greatest Makers Season 2
Calling all makers, inventors, designers, and engineers! Intel, legendary Executive Producer Mark Burnett, MGM Television and Turner Broadcasting are looking for the most innovative makers to join Season 2 of America's Greatest Makers. Do you have an amazing idea for the next big smart connected device? Apply now for the chance to make your dream a reality using Intel's latest technology including the Intel Curie Module and upcoming advanced developer platforms that can connect to a broad array of input and output devices (including cameras and displays). Winner walks away with $1 million dollars! What will YOU make? Application deadline: August 19.
Metal Toad, 522 SW 5th Ave. Ste 400, Portland, OR
Coffee and bagels and people working on code! We have 2-5 mentors each week ready to help people get started in the industry, get help with a particular problem, or get career advice.
JOB SEARCH AND CAREER ADVICE
5 ways to make the most of your internship
Use these five tips to get your employer’s attention during your internship so you’re first on their list when an entry-level job opens up. USA Today College
4 Insider Secrets to Getting Hired at Google
As one of the leading technology companies in the world, Google was ranked number one for the sixth time on Fortune 100’s list of best companies to work for in 2015. More than two million people apply for jobs at the company each year, making it more difficult get hired at Google than it is to get admitted to Harvard. The Muse
Student Information Technology - OSU COSINE Helpdesk
Members of the Cosine helpdesk are the first line of technical support for the Colleges of Science, Liberal Arts, Education and a few departments in the College of Agriculture at Oregon State University. Fields support requests via walk-in, email or over the phone. Researches, troubleshoots and answers computing questions; instructs where needed. Builds and repairs computers; troubleshoots operating systems and
application errors. Documents requests and reports issues.
Student Information Technology (Security Analyst) - OSU Department of Information Services
Security Analyst duties: Monitor and respond to tickets in the help desk queue for the security office. Use tools to monitor and alert on occurrences of suspicious activity. Write scripts and routines to help improve efficiency with work flow. Participate in job/role based training throughout the year to improve skills and techniques. Communicate with different IT groups across campus. Help design awareness programs for students and employees.
Student Support Technician Level 2 - OSU College of Business
The Level 2 Student Support Technician’s primary task is to provide tier 2 hands-on and over-the-phone end-user support to the College of Business faculty, staff and students. Secondary tasks include providing assistance to Level 1 Student Support Technicians, managing the helpdesk ticket queue, maintaining College of Business IT inventory, documenting technical knowledge, and duties and projects as assigned by CRC staff.
SESEY Camp Mentor - OSU Pre-College Programs
Student will act as leader and mentor for a group of high school students during the Summer Experience in residential Science and Engineering for Youth (SESEY) camp on the Oregon State University Campus while the campers participate in various Science and Engineering activities. Camp dates are: Sunday, July 17 – Friday, July 22.
MedSavvy User Experience Internship - Cambia
MedSavvy provides easy, online access to medication options, effectiveness results, prices and personal experiences to help people make better treatment decisions. We are seeking candidates with a strong background in user experience, graphic design and business to join our small agile team. Provide support to the MedSavvy Team in the following role: leverage your ability to translate user needs and business goals into effective user-friendly experiences for the web; collaborate with marketing professionals to design collateral and brand materials in support of business development efforts; apply knowledge and expertise to bring new features and new products to launch.
DTS Performance Reporting Analyst Internship - Cambia
Cambia's Data and Technology Solutions Department delivers innovative data and technology products, services, and solutions that will help drive Cambia to its 2020 vision of person-focused health care transformation. We are seeking an intern to join our dynamic team. Essential Function of the DTS Performance Reporting Analyst Internship: Assembles various data and reports; documents business requirements and methods used to generate work output; applies analytic innovation and best practices within the DTS division; ensures the appropriate identification of root causes through effective use of data analysis tools and techniques.
Information Technology Consultant (competency level 2) - OSU Department of Athletics
The Information Technology Consultant has a varying level of responsibility for direct consultative support and training to students, staff, and faculty on information technology-based systems primarily in the areas of applications software, multimedia, database resources, and network support, but will include a high degree of hardware consultation and support. This position provides comprehensive computer network, hardware, and software technical support to Department of Intercollegiate Athletics users. The incumbent supports a network consisting of four file servers, 300+ microcomputer workstations, and associated peripherals. Installs, configures, and tests the operation of hardware and software. Diagnoses and resolves network, electronic mail system, and individual workstation hardware and software operational problems. Provides consultation and technical support on interfacing departmental systems with external or other departmental systems. Contacts vendors and Information Services staff regarding operational problems, repairs and trains users in software operation.
Entry Level Big Data Position - Nike
Nike Consumer Digital Technology brings together technology and process expertise to deliver one-stop solutions that enable Nike, Inc.'s digital products and services. Nike Consumer Digital Technology is responsible for creating, developing and deploying seamless, tailored and inherently social experiences to its Digital consumers. The opportunity to join Nike Consumer Digital is now; we are creating new, innovative digital solutions and customizing products for consumers more quickly than ever before. To meet the demands of our business, we are rapidly embracing new software development and deployment technology and tools and delivering solutions using agile methodology.
Partial list of jobs posted in the past week through LinkedIn (these are just a few of the hundreds of jobs listed). Sample jobs:
- Electrical Engineer | FEI Company - Hillsboro, OR
- ND - Electrical Engineering Intern | Intel Corporation - Hillsboro, OR
- Applications Engineer | Aerotek - Salem, OR
- Process Engineer | nLIGHT - Vancouver, WA
- Entry Level Equipment Engineer | WaferTech - Parker, WA
- Aircraft Systems Engineer 2 - Aircraft Certification | Garmin International - Salem, OR
- Electrical Engineer/Electrical Designer | Fives - Seattle, WA
- Hardware Quality Engineer | Amazon Lab126 - Seattle, WA
- Software Development Engineer, Machine Learning Platforms | Amazon - Seattle, WA
- Software Development Engineer in Test I (SDET) | Amazon - Seattle, WA
- Embedded Software Development Engineer | Terex Corporation - Redmond, WA
- Applications Engineer | Cypress Semiconductor Corporation - Lynnwood, WA
- Electrical Engineer | Lumentum - Milpitas, CA
- Junior Engineer (Electrical) | City and County of San Francisco - San Francisco, CA
- Silicon Validation Debug Tools Engineer | Apple - Santa Clara, CA
- Test Engineer | Apple - Santa Clara, CA
- Car Experience Engineer | Apple - Santa Clara, CA
- Hardware Engineer | Harris Corporation - Morgan Hill, CA
- Media Technology Software Engineer - New Grad | EMC - Menlo Park, CA
- Foundry Engineer - Entry Level | Xilinx - San Jose, CA
- JR QA Automation Engineer | Open Mesh - Portland, Oregon
- DevOps Engineer / Systems Administrator | Cambia Health Solutions - Portland, OR
- Computer Systems Engineer | Mavensoft Technologies - Beaverton, OR
- Embedded Firmware Engineer | Simplexity Product Development - Vancouver, WA
- IPG Undergrad College Graduate | Intel Corporation - Hillsboro, OR
- Quality Assurance Analyst | WebMD - Portland, OR
- IOS Developer | moovel Group - Portland, OR
- Entry Level Software Development Engineer | Viewpoint - Portland, OR
- SW Developer/Engineer | AudaExplore - Portland, OR
- Software Engineer - Systems | Twitter - Seattle, WA
- Software Engineer - Machine Learning/Relevance | Twitter - Seattle, WA
- Software Engineer - Media Platform | Twitter - Seattle, WA
- Software Engineer - Back End | Uber - Seattle, WA
Don’t forget to check out the AfterCollege job site, tailored especially for our EECS students:
- Student Trainee (Electronics Engineer) | Department of defense - McClellan, California
- Systems Engineer Asc | Lockheed Martin - Silverdale, Washington
- RF Test Engineer 2 | Northrop Grumman Corporation - San Diego, California
- R and D Reverse Engineering (Entry or Senior) | Sandia National Laboratories - Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Electrical Engineer I | St. Jude Medical - Sylmar, California
- Digital Signal Processing Engineer | General Dynamics Mission Systems - Scottsdale, Arizona
- Software Engineer I | Raytheon Company - Goleta, California
- Assistant/ Associate Engineer (Distribution) | City of Pasadena, CA - Pasadena, California
- Build Engineer, Avionics Electro-Mechanical Systems | SpaceX - Hawthorne, California
- Avionics Integration Engineer | SpaceX - Hawthorne, California
- New College Graduate 2016 - RTL Design Engineer | Cavium - San Jose, California
- DIRECTV Technical Undergraduate Internships | AT&T - Los Angeles, California
- Associate Application Support Engineer | Ecova - Spokane, Washington
- Database/Test Engineer 2 | Northrop Grumman Corporation - San Diego, California
- Technology Experience (TechX) Associate Rotational Program | T-Mobile - Bellevue, Washington
- Software Developer - Berkeley Law | University of California - Berkeley, California
- Software Development Engineer, BI/DW | Zillow - Seattle, Washington
- Content Programmer | McGraw-Hill Education - Irvine, California
- Associate Demo Engineer | Salesforce.com - San Francisco, California
Want to include an item in this newsletter? Send the info here.