IN THE NEWS
Artificial Intelligence Has a ‘Sea of Dudes’ Problem
To teach computers about the world, researchers have to gather massive data sets of almost everything. If these data sets aren't sufficiently broad, then companies can create AIs with biases. "From a machine learning perspective, if you don't think about gender inclusiveness, then oftentimes the inferences that get made are biased towards the majority group — in this case, affluent white males," said Margaret Burnett, a professor at Oregon State University's School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. Bloomberg Technology, Financial Post, Seattle Times. Also: A Google Image Search Result for Two Black Men Further Proves Racial Bias in Algorithms. Mic
EECS Ingenuity: Graduation 2016
Read the graduation issue of EECS Ingenuity, featuring videos and photos from the 2016 EECS graduation celebration. EECS
NOT NEWS, BUT OF INTEREST
Meet 30 of Portland’s fastest-growing tech firms (Photos)
Tech companies are typically well represented on the annual list of the fastest growing private companies in Oregon and Southwest Washington. Thirty tech companies cracked the top 100, with four of them making the top 10. Just to get on the list this year, companies had to have at least 62 percent two-year revenue growth, the highest ever to make it in. Portland Business Journal
CS 446/519: Networks in Computational Biology - Fall 2016
Are you interested in bioinformatics? Want to know what computational biology is all about? Check out CS 446/519! In this course you will:
- get to do a research project related to analyzing a large network
- learn about CS tools for analyzing and modeling networks
- use Python and R packages for data analysis and network analysis
- improve your skills in data science related to network inference
- learn about networks in biology – no biology background required
Non-CS students who are proficient in programming are welcome!
America’s Greatest Makers Season 2
Calling all makers, inventors, designers, and engineers! Intel, legendary Executive Producer Mark Burnett, MGM Television and Turner Broadcasting are looking for the most innovative makers to join Season 2 of America's Greatest Makers. Do you have an amazing idea for the next big smart connected device? Apply now for the chance to make your dream a reality using Intel's latest technology including the Intel Curie Module and upcoming advanced developer platforms that can connect to a broad array of input and output devices (including cameras and displays). Winner walks away with $1 million dollars! What will YOU make? Application deadline: August 19.
Metal Toad, 522 SW 5th Ave. Ste 400, Portland, OR
Coffee and bagels and people working on code! We have 2-5 mentors each week ready to help people get started in the industry, get help with a particular problem, or get career advice.
NSA Mathematics & Computer Science Student Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students working toward a degree (AA,AS, BA,BS, MS, PhD) in the fields of computer science, computer engineering, or mathematics. Minimum 3.0 GPA. Must be a U.S. Citizen. Application deadline: June 30.
NSA Electrical Engineering Student Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students pursuing a degree in the field of electrical engineering. Minimum 3.0 GPA. Must be a U.S. Citizen. Application deadline: June 30.
AfterCollege STEM Inclusion Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students working toward a degree in a field of Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics from a group underrepresented in their field of study. Underrepresented groups may be defined by: gender, race, ethnic background, disability, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, nationality and other non-visible differences. Minimum 3.0 GPA. Application deadline: June 30.
AfterCollege Succurro Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students in an accredited program, working toward a degree (AA, AS, BA, BS, MA, MS, MFA, PhD, MD, JD, etc.) in any discipline. Minimum 2.5 GPA. Application deadline: June 30.
JOB SEARCH AND CAREER ADVICE
How to Handle an Executive Informal Chat
Maybe you happened to be in an elevator at the same time or maybe they are an executive that likes to walk the floor to get a sense of how things are going. The important thing to keep in mind is that this isn’t necessarily a planned meeting for either of you. LinkedIn
5 salary negotiation mistakes to avoid
Salary negotiation can be one of the most distressing parts of an interview. On the one hand, you don’t want to lowball yourself and leave money on the table. On the other hand, you don’t want to price yourself right out of consideration, especially if it’s a job you really want. Initial salary offerings are generally a starting point for discussion, so how you answer questions about salary is really important. USA Today College
How to translate academic success into real-world job skills
So what’s the next step after college? Recent graduates often ask me how they can take what they’ve done in college and turn it into resume gold. The first statement I often hear is, “I graduated… isn’t that good enough?” Well, it may very well be, but the following will detail what you can do to translate your academic successes into skills that matter in the professional world. USA Today College
Student Support Technician Level 2 - OSU College of Business
The Level 2 Student Support Technician’s primary task is to provide tier 2 hands-on and over-the-phone end-user support to the College of Business faculty, staff and students. Secondary tasks include providing assistance to Level 1 Student Support Technicians, managing the helpdesk ticket queue, maintaining College of Business IT inventory, documenting technical knowledge, and duties and projects as assigned by CRC staff.
SESEY Camp Mentor - OSU Pre-College Programs
Student will act as leader and mentor for a group of high school students during the Summer Experience in residential Science and Engineering for Youth (SESEY) camp on the Oregon State University Campus while the campers participate in various Science and Engineering activities. Camp dates are: Sunday, July 17 – Friday, July 22.
Student Web Developer - OSU Information Services
LifeMap QA Internship - Cambia
The LifeMap QA Intern will provide support to the Technology Delivery Team in the following role: Participate in a team environment for the delivery and maintenance of application systems. Will be responsible for testing of applications in a development environment. This experience will allow the intern to gain an understanding of enterprise software development practices, source control management as well a good understanding of application deployment architecture.
DTS Performance Reporting Analyst Internship - Cambia
Cambia's Data and Technology Solutions Department delivers innovative data and technology products, services, and solutions that will help drive Cambia to its 2020 vision of person-focused health care transformation. We are seeking an intern to join our dynamic team. Essential Function of the DTS Performance Reporting Analyst Internship: Assembles various data and reports; documents business requirements and methods used to generate work output; applies analytic innovation and best practices within the DTS division; ensures the appropriate identification of root causes through effective use of data analysis tools and techniques.
Entry Level Big Data Position - Nike
Nike Consumer Digital Technology brings together technology and process expertise to deliver one-stop solutions that enable Nike, Inc.'s digital products and services. Nike Consumer Digital Technology is responsible for creating, developing and deploying seamless, tailored and inherently social experiences to its Digital consumers. The opportunity to join Nike Consumer Digital is now; we are creating new, innovative digital solutions and customizing products for consumers more quickly than ever before. To meet the demands of our business, we are rapidly embracing new software development and deployment technology and tools and delivering solutions using agile methodology.
We have 2 new reqs approved to join LTE RF in San Diego and 1 more in QIPL for solid/pukka engineering friends particularly outside of QUALCOMM who may be interested in working in the RF domain.
Analyst Programmer - OSU Academic Technologies
The main responsibility of this Analyst Programmer level two position is to build and support web publishing and content management systems for the OSU campus community. Central Web Services utilizes both Drupal and Wordpress to enable our customers to deliver content. This position will primarily be responsible for development of, and support for, a customized Drupal distribution for the OSU Drupal community.
Partial list of jobs posted in the past week through LinkedIn (these are just a few of the hundreds of jobs listed). Sample jobs:
- Software Developer (Java) | Heartland Payment Systems - Portland, OR
- Developer DevOps | SMART Technologies - Greater Seattle Area
- System Administrator | SMART Technologies - Greater Seattle Area
- Junior Software Tester | SmartDeploy - Greater Seattle Area
- Entry-Level Electrical Designer | AECOM - Portland, OR
- Big Data Software Development Engineer | Hotels.com – Bellevue, WA
- Software Dev Engineer I (Java) | Expedia, Inc. – Bellevue, WA
- Software Engineer 1 | Insitu Inc. - Hood River, OR
- Electrical Entry Engineer | AEI/Affiliated Engineers, Inc. - Seattle, WA
- Software Engineer | adaQuest - Seattle, WA
- Software Engineer Grad | Pure Storage - Bellevue, WA
- RF / Analog Applications Engineer | Avnera Corporation - Beaverton, OR
- DevOps Engineer | eventcore - Seattle, WA
- Systems Engineer | MailChimp - Seattle, WA
- Jr. Software Engineer | NAVEX Global - Lake Oswego, OR
- RF/Microwave Engineer | SpaceX - Seattle, WA
- Communications System Engineer | SpaceX - Seattle, WA
- Junior OO Web C# PHP Application Developer | Triplenet Technologies Inc - Bellevue, WA
- Entry Level Applications Developer | CGI - Seattle, WA
- Dataset Engineer | PACCAR - Mount Vernon, WA
- Vehicle Validation - VECU Engineer | PACCAR - Mount Vernon, WA
- Transmission & Distribution Specialist | PacifiCorp - Portland, OR
- Audio Test Development Engineer | Maxim Integrated - Hillsboro, OR
- Python Programmer | Macropace Technologies - Hillsboro, OR
Don’t forget to check out the AfterCollege job site, tailored especially for our EECS students:
- Electrical Engineer (Pathways) (Recent Graduate) | Department of defense - Walla Walla, Washington
- Electrical Engineer | Department of the Interior - Redding, California
- Associate Engineer, System Design & Strategy | T-Mobile - Bellevue, Washington
- Electrical Engineer - New Grad | Rockwell Collins - Portland, Oregon
- EMI/EMC Engineer | General Atomics - San Diego, California
- Engineer I, Test Development | St. Jude Medical - Sylmar, California
- BAS Project Engineer | EMCOR - San Jose, California
- Entry-Level Electrical Engineer | UbiquityiNetworks, Inc - Broomfield, Colorado
- Electrical Engineer/Facilities Engineer (Early/Mid-Career) | Sandia National Laboratories - Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Launch Engineer | Virgin Galactic - Long Beach, California
- Engineer I | Brown and Caldwell - Portland, Oregon
- Avionics Integration Engineer | SpaceX - Hawthorne, California
- Build Engineer, Avionics Electro-Mechanical Systems | SpaceX - Hawthorne, California
- Assistant Electrical Engineer | Burns & McDonnell - Houston, Texas
- Junior Test Automation Engineer | Indeed.com - Austin, Texas
- Storage Mgt Interface SWE - New Grad | EMC Corporation - Menlo Park, California
- Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) | Nordstrom - Los Angeles, California
- Engineer 1 - Web Modernization | Nordstrom - Seattle, Washington
- User Experience Specialist | California State University - Seaside, California
Want to include an item in this newsletter? Send the info here.