What did you do this summer?
An internship? Research? Studied abroad? The School of EECS is looking for interesting student stories to post on our blog, EECS News. If you'd like to share your summer experience, send an e-mail to Rachel Robertson. We want to hear from you!
IN THE NEWS
With A Saudi Aramco IPO On The Way, Nabilah Al Tunisi Is Prepared For Change
When Sadara Chemical Company opens for business in 2018, its $20 billion petrochemicals manufacturing complex near the shores of the Arabian Gulf will mark a turning point for Saudi Arabia. It will be the first polyurethane plant in the Middle East, and will have the capacity to produce more than 3 million tons of chemicals—the stuff that goes into making everything from car tires to sneakers, setting the country on a path to diversification. Nearly 10 years in the making, Sadara, which is a joint venture between Saudi Aramco and Dow Chemical, was under the charge of Nabilah Al-Tunisi (MS CpE 1982). She has quietly made her mark on the world’s largest oil producer. Forbes Middle East
Modern Nixie Clock- OSU Engineering Expo 2016
First manufactured in the 1950s, glowing nixie clocks are now popular for their retro style. The modern version developed by this team includes wireless time synchronization, dimmable lights, and an Android app to control the device. EECS
Automatic Bike Shifter - OSU Engineering Expo 2016
Tired of shifting gears on your bike? This electric bike shifter will automatically shift gears depending on the cyclists’ pedaling speed. Team: Drummond Fudge, Zhenlin (Dennis) Jin and Leon Su. EECS
NOT NEWS, BUT OF INTEREST
Intel will spin out McAfee security business
Intel confirmed that it will spin out its online security division, currently known as Intel Security, and restore its original name – McAfee. Intel Security currently operates out of offices at Intel's headquarters in Santa Clara, California, and at another site in Plano, Texas. Intel said McAfee hasn't determined where its headquarters will be. The Oregonian
Portland tech cuts jobs in search of profits
Tech jobs are proliferating, wages are rising even faster, and venture dollars are flowing in at their fastest rate in a decade. And yet Oregon tech has endured a spate of layoffs that began this spring and continued throughout the summer as companies pared back in search of profitability or to recalibrate their business. Entrepreneurs and venture capitalists say investors have grown more cautious this year, particularly with companies beyond their earliest stages. The Oregonian
2016 IEEE Maker Project
This is your opportunity to show the world the work that has been keeping you up at night. So if you are tirelessly tinkering with a tech project that solves complex problems and has applications in the real world, and can use an extra $500, we want to hear from you. Top vote-getters in each category will be sent to our expert panel of judges who will select one finalist from each category. Deadline: September 17, 2016
PhD Oral Preliminary Examination – Vahid Behravan
Wednesday, September 14, 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM, KeC 3114
Compressive Sensing for Low Power Sensor Design
Major Advisor: Patrick Chiang; Committee: Jinsub Kim, Matthew Johnston, Huaping Liu; GCR: Michelle Dolgos
PhD Final Oral Examination – Hao Li
Thursday, September 15, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM, KEC 4107
Design Techniques of High Speed Silicon Photonics Transceiver
Major Advisor: Patrick Chiang; Committee: Un-Ku Moon, Alan Wang, Arun Natarajan; GCR: Michelle Dolgos
MS Final Examination – Zhaoda Yao
Thursday, September 15, 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM, KEC 3114
Multi-User Massive MIMO Channel Estimation Based on Kalman Filters
Major Advisor: Mario Magana; Committee: Huaping Liu, Bechir Hamdaoui; Committee: William Warnes
PhD Final Oral Examination – Nadia Adem
Friday, September 16, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM, KEC 1007
Jamming Attack Resiliency and Performance Analysis of Cognitive Radio Communication Networks
Major Advisor: Bechir Hamdaoui; Committee: Attila Yavuz, Arun Natarajan, Rakesh Bobba; GCR: Maggie Niess
MS Final Examination – Yichuan Tian
Friday, September 16, 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM, KEC 3114
Channel Estimation in TDD Massive MIMO Systems with Subsampled Data at BS
Major Advisor: Mario Magaña; Committee: Jinsub Kim, Huaping Liu; Committee: William Warnes
NSA Mathematics & Computer Science Student Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students working toward a degree (AA,AS, BA,BS, MS, PhD) in the fields of computer science, computer engineering, or mathematics. Minimum 3.0 GPA. Must be a U.S. Citizen. Application deadline: September 30.
NSA Electrical Engineering Student Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students pursuing a degree in the field of electrical engineering. Minimum 3.0 GPA. Must be a U.S. Citizen. Application deadline: September 30.
AfterCollege STEM Inclusion Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students working toward a degree in a field of Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics from a group underrepresented in their field of study. Underrepresented groups may be defined by: gender, race, ethnic background, disability, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, nationality and other non-visible differences. Minimum 3.0 GPA. Application deadline: September 30.
AfterCollege Succurro Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students in an accredited program, working toward a degree (AA, AS, BA, BS, MA, MS, MFA, PhD, MD, JD, etc.) in any discipline. Minimum 2.5 GPA. Application deadline: September 30.
Johnson Hall Grand Opening
Friday, September 23, 3:30 PM - 4:30 PM
Celebrate the grand opening of Johnson Hall, the College of Engineering's newest facility. Join us as the Oregon State community launches a new era for engineering at OSU, with a strategic focus on community, education, research, and partnerships. Register at http://www.osufoundation.org/johnsonhall.
SEMI Professional Development Program – Connecting College Students to High Tech Industry
Friday, September 30, 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., Memorial Union Ballroom
A professional development seminar organized by SEMI Pacific Northwest.
- Learn about career paths and employment opportunities in high tech
- Acquire valuable, practical information from experts
- Choose career directions and plan for success!
This event is free for students, but registration is required. Registration deadline: September 26.
JOB SEARCH AND CAREER ADVICE
Even People Who Hate Writing Can Make Their Cover Letter Stand Out
You’ve got to allow yourself to break the proverbial cover letter mold. You’ve got to fire up something that enables the hiring manager to (very) quickly connect the dots between what he or she needs, and what you have to offer. And you need to do it in a way that, right out of the gates, presents you as a talented, genuine, and insanely likable human. The Muse
5 Questions to Ask in an Interview That'll Reveal a Lot About the Company
“Remember, you’re interviewing them just as much as they’re interviewing you. Ask your own (good) questions to get a feel for if you truly want to work there.” But are you digesting this—and doing it—every time you meet with a hiring manager? If you’re not, you’re missing out on an important opportunity to dig in and really get a feel for what’s going on at your potential next employer. The Muse
Student Test Engineer - Internet of Things - OSU Center for Applied Systems and Software (CASS)
The Center for Applied Systems and Software (CASS) exists as a student experiential learning program. Students are hired and trained by full time staff engineers or student managers to perform computer hardware and software testing. This position specifically will be working with Internet of Things (IoT) technologies and testing of IoT. IoT is a fairly new and rapidly changing area of technology. Students in these positions are expected to be quick learners and delve into the nuances of IoT and its relationships with devices.
Student Information Technology Assistant - OSU Athletics
Assist the Information Technology Department within OSU Athletics with day to day operations and projects. Imaging Windows and Apple Hardware. Assisting members of the IT Teams with day to day operations.
Intro to Computer Science (CS) 101 Teaching Assistant - OSU Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
Mentoring, grading, holding office hours, helping with recitations, helping with 2 hour labs, and attending TA meetings. These duties will vary depending on the specific course.
Student Information Technology Pool (IT Consultant) - OSU Information Services Service Desk in Client Services
Members of the IS Service Desk are the first line of technical support for Community Network clients and students, staff & faculty at Oregon State University. Client Services is responsible for all aspects of IT support for its customers. Client Services is a diverse organization made up of 50+ student employees and 20 full-time staff working in three primary functional areas: Service Desk, Community Network and Campus Labs.
Information Security Analyst - OSU Office of Information Services Central Administration
As an Information Security Analyst (Analyst) you will help identify risks to information assets and data systems, ensure compliance with university policies, industry standards, relevant regulations, and security best practices. A resource to others, you will assess systems, processes, and projects and interact with internal and external technical staff and consult with project teams. You’ll be a member of a team that works closely with Information Services, other IT units, and Internal Audit to design, test, implement and operate an array of information security tools and devices. We will work together as a team on InfoSec Incident response.
Applications Programmer and Information Technology Coordinator - Vermont Center for Ecostudies
The Vermont Center for Ecostudies (VCE) seeks an Application Programmer and IT Coordinator to join our conservation sciences team. Write well-designed, testable, efficient code using best software development practices. Work with a dynamic team of biologists, statisticians, computer scientists, application developers, and database administrators within a collaborative development environment. Develop software and data products to ensure the data collected by e-Butterfly.org and other projects are available and appropriately used to the maximum extent possible. Create and maintain software documentation. Create website layout/user interface by using standard HTML/CSS practices. Integrate data from various back-end services and databases.
Analog Engineer - Intel
Be the first to develop, design and test wireline I/O circuits in Intel’s leading-edge technology node. Design PHY circuits covering wireline standards in serial, memory, and legacy high-voltage I/Os and integrate them into Intel’s first technology test chips. Use your design and measurement results to guide the next generation of process technology based on requirements for critical wireline interfaces. Work closely with process and product/IP engineers to anticipate interface requirements and use design and test results to accelerate process technology and product development.
Partial list of jobs posted in the past week through LinkedIn (these are just a few of the hundreds of jobs listed). Sample jobs:
- Corporate Marketing Engineer (EE, Analog Mixed-Signal) | Mentor Graphics - Wilsonville, Oregon
- Software Engineer | Myron Steves - Greater Seattle Area
- Product Engineer | Maxim Integrated - Beaverton, OR
- Software Engineer | Agilysys - Bellevue, Washington
- Software Engineer, Junior | Booz Allen Hamilton - Seattle, WA
- Software Engineer (Python) | The Pokémon Company International - Bellevue, WA
- DevOps Engineer | The Pokémon Company International - Bellevue, WA
- C# .NET Web Developer | eventcore - Seattle, WA
- Junior Programmer | Macropace Technologies - Hillsboro, OR
- Physical Design Engineer | Macropace Technologies - Hillsboro, OR
- Analog Physical Design Engineer | Macropace Technologies - Hillsboro, OR
- RF Physical Design Engineer | Macropace Technologies - Hillsboro, OR
- CAReer Trainee Mechatronics | Daimler Trucks North America - Portland
- Platform Operations Engineer | beqom - Redmond, WA
- Software Dev Engineer I | Expedia, Inc. - Bellevue, WA
- Electrical Engineer | Leidos - Lynnwood, WA
- Entry-Level Process Engineer | Maxim Integrated - Beaverton, OR
- Associate MTS, Test System Development | Maxim Integrated - San Jose, CA
- Embedded Linux Software Engineer | Fortinet - Sunnyvale, CA
- Propulsion Engineer | SpaceX - Redmond, WA
- Intern Design Engineer | Micron Technology - Milpitas, CA
- Embedded Software Engineer, Robotics | SRI International - Menlo Park, CA
- Embedded Software Engineer | Astronics Corporation - Everett, WA
- Electrical Engineer 1 | Black & Veatch - Lake Oswego, OR,
Don’t forget to check out the AfterCollege job site, tailored especially for our EECS students:
- Software Developer/Programmer I | Baylor College of Medicine - Houston, Texas
- Software Dev Engineer I | Amazon - Tempe, Arizona
- Application Developer | University of California - Davis, California
- iTunes U Software Engineer | Apple - Santa Clara, California
- iOS Engineer - iTunes U | Apple - Santa Clara, California
- Software Development Engineer, Amazon Flex | Amazon - Seattle, Washington
- Software Development Engineer - Ordering Platform | Amazon - Seattle, Washington
- 2017 New Grad Software Development Engineer | Amazon - Seattle, Washington
- Writing Systems Engineer | Hewlett-Packard (HP) - Corvallis, Oregon
- Software Engineer 2 | eBay - San Jose, California
- Software Engineer - ENTRY LEVEL | P2 Energy Solutions - Denver, Colorado
- Software Engineer, New Grad | Factual - Los Angeles, California
- Software Engineer (New Grad) | TubeMogul Inc. - Emeryville, California
- Entry Level Software Tester | Accenture Inc - Los Alamitos, California
- Cybersecurity Tester, Junior | Booz Allen Hamilton Inc. - San Diego, California
- Electronics Engineer (Recent Graduate) | Department of defense - Fort Shafter, Hawaii
- 2017 Graduate CPU Implementation Engineer | ARM - Chandler, Arizona
- 2017 Graduate CPU Verification Engineer | ARM - Chandler, Arizona
- Lecturer | University of Hawaii System - Honolulu, Hawaii
- New Graduate - NSX Dataplane Team Engineer | VMware - Palo Alto, California
- Asc Software Engineer / Embedded Systems / Entry Level | Lockheed Martin - San Luis Obispo, California
- 2017 PD – Engineering, Strategy, & Research Summer Intern | Ford - Palo Alto, California
- Automotive Microcontrollers and Processors Applications Engineer. Entry Level | Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. - Austin, Texas
Want to include an item in this newsletter? Send the info here.