Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI)
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
NSF Presidential Young Investigator/CAREER Awards
National/International & External Awards
- Mike Bailey: ACM SIGGRAPH Outstanding Service Award (2015)
- Bella Bose: Southern Methodist University Computer Science and Engineering 40th Anniversary Award for Academic Accomplishment (2008)
- Ted Brekken: IEEE Power & Energy Society Outstanding Young Engineer Award (2011)
- Margaret Burnett: ACM CHI Academy (2016); NCWIT Undergraduate Research Mentoring Award (2015); IBM International Faculty Award (2007 & 2008)
- Paul Cull: Life Membership, Association for Computing Machinery (2013); 50 Year Award, Mathematical Association of America (2013); E. R. Caianiello Award for Biocybernetics, European Mtg on Cybernetics & Systems Research (2004 & 2010); Forty Year Award, Mathematical Assn of America (2003)
- Terri Fiez: IEEE Undergraduate Teaching Award (2015); IEEE Major Educational Innovative Award (2007)
- Alex Groce: NASA Software of the Year for Mars Science Laboratory Flight Software, 2013 (MSL Flight Software team)
- Bechir Hamdaoui: IEEE Communications Society Distinguished lecturer (2015-2017)
- Liang Huang: Yahoo Faculty Research and Engagement Program Award. (2015)
- V John Mathews: IEEE Signal Processing Society Meritorious Service Award (2014); Distinguished Alumni Award from the National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli, India (2008-09)
- Ron Metoyer: Modern Day Technology Leadership Award, BEYA Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Global Competitiveness Conference (2009)
- Cherri Pancake: Woman of Achievement, Oregon Commission for Women (2006); HPCwire’s “People to Watch” list (2005)
- Gabor Temes: National Academy of Engineering (2015); IEEE CAS Mac Van Valkenburg Award (2009); IEEE Gustav Robert Kirchhoff Award (2006); IEEE Third Millennium Medal (2000); IEEE CAS Education Award; IEEE CAS Golden Jubilee Medal (1999); IEEE Graduate Teaching Award (1998); IEEE Centennial Medal (1994); IEEE CAS Society Technical Achievement Award (1989); IEEE I&M Society Andrew Chi Prize (1985); IEEE CAS Distinguished Lecturer (1991-1992, 2001-2002); Darlington Award of IEEE CAS Society (1969, 1981); honorary doctorate, Technical Univ of Budapest
- Annette von Jouanne: National Sea Grant Research to Application Award (2012); named one of the top 12 contemporary Oregon innovators by the OMSI/Portland Monthly’s “Brain Storm” project (2011); OMSI Genius Award (2009), International Energy Ocean Conference Energy Pioneer Award (2008), National Eta Kappa Nu C. Homes MacDonald Outstanding Teaching Award (2005)
- John Wager: Society for Information Display (SID) Special Recognition Award “for his pioneering contributions to the development of oxide TFTs” (2012)
- Andreas Weisshaar: NSF Program Director (2008-2011)
Best Paper Awards
- Arturo Valdivia, Douglas J. Tweet, and John F. Conley Jr, “Atomic layer deposition of two dimensional MoS2 on 150 mm substrates” Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A, 34, 021515 (2016). Editor’s pick in February and in March was on their “most read” list.
- Jian Kang, Sujaya Rao, Patrick Chiang, Arun Natarajan, “Area-constrained Wirelessly-Powered UWB SoC Design for Small Insect Localization”, IEEE WisNet Jan. 2016. (Best Paper Award 2nd place).
- Beckwith, L.; Burnett, M., “Gender: An Important Factor in End-User Programming Environments?,” in Visual Languages and Human Centric Computing, 2004 IEEE Symposium on , vol., no., pp.107-114, 30-30 Sept. 2004. Most Influential Paper Award from the past decade.
- Dig, D.; Johnson, R., “The role of refactorings in API evolution,” in Software Maintenance, 2005. ICSM’05. Proceedings of the 21st IEEE International Conference on , vol., no., pp.389-398, 26-29 Sept. 2005. Most Influential Paper in the last ten years.
- Mihai Codoban, Sruti Srinivasa Ragavan, Danny Dig, and Brian Bailey, “Software History under the Lens: A Study on Why and How Developers Examine It,” 2015 IEEE 31st International Conference on Software Maintenance and Evolution (ICSME), September 29 – October 1, 2015, Bremen, Germany. Best Paper Award.
- Anh The Pham, Raviv Raich, Xiaoli Z. Fern, and Jesús Pérez Arriaga, “Multi-instance multi-label learning in the presence of novel class instances,” Proc. 32nd International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), Lille, Paris, July 2015. Intel Best Paper Award.
- Jing Yang; Gregory L. Rorrer and Alan X. Wang, “Bioenabled SERS substrates for food safety and drinking water monitoring,” Proc. SPIE 9488, Sensing for Agriculture and Food Quality and Safety VII, 948808, May 13, 2015. Best paper runner-up.
- Scott Sanner and Craig Boutilier, “Practical solution techniques for first-order MDPs,” Artificial Intelligence 173 (5–6), April 2009, Pages 748–788. Prominent Paper Award (2014)
- K. A. Stewart, V. Gouliouk, R. E. Presley, T-H. Chiang, B. S. Yeh, D. A. Keszler, J. F. Wager, T. K. Chuang, R. G. Manley, and D. G. Enicks, “Effect of Ultrathin Channel Layers on the Properties of Amorphous Al-In-Sn-O TFTs,” Transparent Conductive Oxides: Fundamentals and Applications (TCO2014), Leipzig, Germany, September 29-October 2, 2014. First place Young Scientist Award
- T-H. Chiang, R. E. Presley, B-S. Yeh, and J. F. Wager, “Ultrathin InGaZnO Channel Layers Thin-Film Transistors,” Transparent Conductive Materials 2014, (TCM2014), Chania, Greece, October 13-17, 2014. Best Young Researcher Oral Presentation Award: Tsung-Han (Hans) Chiang
- Qiwei Wang, Thinh Nguyen, and Alan Wang, “Channel Capacity Optimization for an integrated Wi-Fi and Free-space Optic Communication System (WiFiFO),” Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems (MSWiM ’14), September 2014. Runner up short paper award
- Erik Walkingshaw and Klaus Ostermann, “Projectional Editing of Variational Software” 13th International Conference on Generative Programming: Concepts & Experiences (GPCE’14), September 2014, Västerås, Sweden. Best Paper Award
- Semih Okur, David L. Hartveld, Danny Dig, and Arie van Deursen. 2014. “A study and toolkit for asynchronous programming in c#.” In Proceedings of the 36th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2014). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 1117-1127. Distinguished Paper Award
- Groce, A; Alipour, M.A; Chaoqiang Zhang; Yang Chen; Regehr, J., “Cause Reduction for Quick Testing,” Software Testing, Verification and Validation (ICST), 2014 IEEE Seventh International Conference on, pp.243,252, March 31 2014-April 4 2014. Best Paper Award.
- Weiyang Li, “Writing Magnetic Patterns with Surface Acoustic Waves,” 58th Magnetism and Magnetic Materials Conference. Best Poster Award, 2013.
- Chambers, C., and Scaffidi, C., “Smell-driven performance analysis for end-user programmers,” IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing, 2013
- Vikas Shilimkar , Steven Gaskill, and Andreas Weisshaar, “Modeling and Characterization of Metal Fill Parasitics in Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits,” September 2013, Austin, TX, SRC TECHCON 2013. Best of Session award.
- Janardhan Rao Doppa, Alan Fern, and Prasad Tadepalli, “HC-Search: Learning Heuristics and Cost Functions for Structured Prediction,” AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-2013). Outstanding Paper Award.
- J. F. Wager, K. Hoshino, E. S. Sundholm, R. E. Presley, R. Ravichandran, C. C. Knutson, D. A. Keszler, R. L. Hoffman, D. A. Mourey, and J. Robertson, “A framework for assessing amorphous oxide semiconductor thin-film transistor passivation,” J. Soc. Inf. Display 20/10. Best paper of 2012 for the Journal of the Society for Information Display.
- Nguyen, Dong, Tuan Tran, Thinh Nguyen, and Bella Bose, “Wireless Broadcast Using Network Coding,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 58, issue 2, pp. 914 - 925, 2009. Jack Neubauer Memorial Award (best systems paper published in Transactions on Vehicular Technology; 3-year waiting period required).
- Todd Kulesza, Simone Stumpf, Margaret Burnett, and Irwin Kwan, “Tell Me More? The Effects of Mental Model Soundness on Personalizing an Intelligent Agent,” ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, May 2012. Best Paper honorable mention.
- Ken Hoshino, “Amorphous Oxide Semiconductor Thin-Film Transistor Stability,” ITC 2012 (8th International Thin-Film Transistor Conference), Lisbon, Portugal, January 2012. Best Oral Presentation.
- E. Naswali, C. Alexander, H. Han, D. Naviaux, A. Bistrika, A. von Jouanne, A. Yokochi, T. Brekken, “Supercapacitor Energy Storage for Wind Energy Integration”, ECCE, Sept. 2011. (Prize Award - Student)
- Margaret Burnett and Allen Ambler, “A Declarative Approach to Event-Handling in Visual Programming Languages,” 1992 IEEE Workshop on Visual Languages. 2011 IEEE Symp. on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing: Most Influential Paper from 20 Years Ago.
- Jill Cao, Scott D. Fleming, and Margaret Burnett, “An Exploration of Design Opportunities for ‘Gardening’ End-User Programmers’ Ideas,” IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing, 2011.
- Alan Fern, IJCAI-JAIR Award for Best Paper in Previous Five Years, Runner-up (2011).
- MohammadJavad NoroozOliaee and Bechir Hamdaoui, “Distributed resource and service management for large-scale dynamic spectrum access systems through coordinated learning.” In Proc. of IEEE Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference, July 2011.
- C. Weber, J. He, C. Zhong, and H. Liu, “Multiband Architecture for high-speed SerDes,” DesignCon 2011, Santa Clara, CA, Jan. 2011.
- Paul Cull, “Biocomputation,” 20th European Meeting on Cybernetics and Systems Research, 2010. Caianiello Award for Biocybernetics.
- R. Whang, H. Liu, and E.K. Hong, “Multiuser cooperative relay communication employing hierarchical modulation,” IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, May 2010.
- Yuehua Xu, Alan Fern, and Sungwoon Yoon, “Iterative Learning of Weighted Rule Sets for Greedy Search,” Int’l Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling, 2010. Best Paper Runner-Up Award.
- Jill Cao, Yann Riche, Susan Wiedenbeck, Margaret Burnett, and Valentina Grigoreanu, “End-User Mashup Programming: Through the Design Lens,” ACM Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, April 2010. Best Paper Honorable Mention.
- J. He, H. Liu, and Z. Wang, “A fast ACSU architecture for Viterbi decoder using T-algorithm,” 43rd Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers, Nov. 2009. Best Student Paper Award Finalist.
- W. G. Finn, K. M. Carter, R. Raich, L. M. Stoolman, and A. O. Hero, “Analysis of clinical flow cytometric immunophenotyping data by clustering on statistical manifolds: Treating flow cytometry data as high dimensional objects,” Cytometry: Part B - Clinical Cytometry, Jan. 2009. Best Original Paper published in Clinical Cytometry for 2008-2009.
- Ronald Bjarnason, Alan Fern, Prasad Tadepalli, “Lower Bounding Klondike Solitaire with Monte-Carlo Planning,” Best Student Paper of ICAPS (International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling) 2009
- Martin Erwig and Eric Walkingshaw, “A DSL for Explaining Probabilistic Reasoning,” IFIP Working Conference on Domain-Specific Languages, 2009
- D. Tran, T. Nguyen, “Publish/Subscribe Service in CAN-based P2P Networks: Dimension Mismatch and the Random Projection Approach .” In Proceedings of IEEE Int’l Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN 2008)
- Paul Cull and Tai Hsu, “Biomimic Spider Double Stereo Vision by the Walking Tree Method,” Twentieth European Meeting on Cybernetics and Systems Research 2008
- Chris Chambers and Martin Erwig, “Dimension Inference in Spreadsheets,” IEEE Int. Symp. on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing, 2008
- Joseph Lawrance, Rachel Bellamy, Margaret Burnett, Kyle Rector, “Using Information Scent to Model the Dynamic Foraging Behavior of Programmers in Maintenance Tasks,” ACM Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, April 2008. Best Paper Honorable Mention.
- J. Ayers, K. Mayaram, and T. Fiez, “A low power BFSK super-regenerative transceiver,” ISCAS 2007, pp. 3099-3102, May 2007. Best Student Paper of ISCAS (IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems)
- Paul Cull and Tai Hsu, “The Walking Tree Method for 3D Vision,” Cybernetics and Systems 2006 (R. Trappl, ed.), Austrian Society for Cybernetic Studies
- Fountain, T., Dietterich, T. G., and Sudyka, B. (2000). “Mining IC Test Data to Optimize VLSI Testing,” In Proceedings of the Sixth ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery & Data Mining (pp. 18-25). ACM Press. Winner of Best Application Paper Award (Research Track)
- A. von Jouanne, A. Wallace, I. Husain, A. Yokochi, “Gone with the Wind: Innovative Hydrogen/Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Based on Renewable Energy Sources,” IEEE Industry Applications Magazine, Prize Paper Award (2005)
- Robin Abraham and Martin Erwig, “Header and Unit Interference for Spreadsheets through Spatial Analysis,” IEEE Int. Symposium on Visual Languages and Human Centric Computing, 2004
- John Wager, “Amorphous Multi-component Heavy Metal Cation Oxides for Thin-Film Transistor Applications,” Materials Research Society Symposium, Top 5 paper.
- Robin Abraham: Best Paper Award at IEEE Int. Symposium on Visual Languages and Human Centric Computing (2004)
- Peter Kurahashi, Pavan Hanumolu: Best Student Paper Award in 2006 at the Custom Integrated Circuits Conference, P. Kurahashi, P. Hanumolu, G. Temes, U-K. Moon, “A 0.6V Highly Linear Switched-R-MOSFET-C Filter”
- Martin Erwig, “A Foundation for Representing and Querying Moving Objects.” Most Cited ACM Trans. on Database Systems paper in Ten Years (1993-2004)
- Paul Cull, “Computer Models and Genetic Systems,” Cybernetics and Systems 2004 (R. Trappl, ed.), Austrian Society for Cybernetic Studies
- Tom Dietterich, JAIR Award for Best Paper in Previous Five Years (2003)
- Thinh Nguyen, “Distributed Video Streaming with Forward Error Correction,” Packet Video Workshop (2002)
- P. Cull and S. Larson, “Routing on Twisted Cube Networks,” SCI 2001, 5th World MultiConference Systemics, Cybernetics, and Informatics
- A. von Jouanne, P. Enjeti, W. Gray, “Application Issues for PWM Adjustable Speed AC Motor Drives,” IEEE Industry Applications Magazine, Prize Paper Award (1996)
- Toshi Minoura, Asahi Newspaper Prize, Invention and Development of a Rule Based Process Control Method for Plant Control (1988)