Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI)
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
NSF Presidential Young Investigator/CAREER Awards
National/International & External Awards
- Bella Bose: Southern Methodist University Computer Science and Engineering 40th Anniversary Award for Academic Accomplishment (2008)
- Ted Brekken: IEEE Power & Energy Society Outstanding Young Engineer Award (2011)
- Margaret Burnett: IBM International Faculty Award (2007 & 2008)
- Paul Cull: E. R. Caianiello Award for Biocybernetics, 17th European Meeting on Cybernetics and Systems Research (2004 & 2010); Forty Year Award, Mathematical Association of America (2003)
- Terri Fiez: IEEE Major Educational Innovative Award (2007)
- Ron Metoyer: Modern Day Technology Leadership Award, BEYA Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Global Competitiveness Conference (2009)
- Cherri Pancake: Woman of Achievement, Oregon Commission for Women (2006); HPCwire’s “People to Watch” list (2005)
- Gabor Temes: IEEE CAS Mac Van Valkenburg Award (2009); IEEE Gustav Robert Kirchhoff Award (2006); IEEE Third Millennium Medal (2000); IEEE CAS Education Award; IEEE CAS Golden Jubilee Medal (1999); IEEE Graduate Teaching Award (1998); IEEE Centennial Medal (1994); IEEE CAS Society Technical Achievement Award (1989); IEEE I&M Society Andrew Chi Prize (1985); IEEE CAS Distinguished Lecturer (1991-1992, 2001-2002); Darlington Award of IEEE CAS Society (1969, 1981); honorary doctorate, Technical Univ of Budapest
- Annette von Jouanne: OMSI Genius Award (2009), International Energy Ocean Conference Energy Pioneer Award (2008), National Eta Kappa Nu C. Homes MacDonald Outstanding Teaching Award (2005)
- Andreas Weisshaar: NSF Program Director (2008-2011)
Best Paper Awards
- Nguyen, Dong, Tuan Tran, Thinh Nguyen, and Bella Bose, “Wireless Broadcast Using Network Coding,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 58, issue 2, pp. 914 - 925, 2009. Jack Neubauer Memorial Award (best systems paper published in Transactions on Vehicular Technology; 3-year waiting period required).
- Todd Kulesza, Simone Stumpf, Margaret Burnett, and Irwin Kwan, “Tell Me More? The Effects of Mental Model Soundness on Personalizing an Intelligent Agent,” ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, May 2012. Best Paper honorable mention.
- Ken Hoshino, “Amorphous Oxide Semiconductor Thin-Film Transistor Stability,” ITC 2012 (8th International Thin-Film Transistor Conference), Lisbon, Portugal, January 2012. Best Oral Presentation.
- E. Naswali, C. Alexander, H. Han, D. Naviaux, A. Bistrika, A. von Jouanne, A. Yokochi, T. Brekken, “Supercapacitor Energy Storage for Wind Energy Integration”, ECCE, Sept. 2011. (Prize Award - Student)
- Margaret Burnett and Allen Ambler, “A Declarative Approach to Event-Handling in Visual Programming Languages,” 1992 IEEE Workshop on Visual Languages. 2011 IEEE Symp. on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing: Most Influential Paper from 20 Years Ago.
- Jill Cao, Scott D. Fleming, and Margaret Burnett, “An Exploration of Design Opportunities for ‘Gardening’ End-User Programmers’ Ideas,” IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing, 2011.
- Alan Fern, IJCAI-JAIR Award for Best Paper in Previous Five Years, Runner-up (2011).
- MohammadJavad NoroozOliaee and Bechir Hamdaoui, “Distributed resource and service management for large-scale dynamic spectrum access systems through coordinated learning.” In Proc. of IEEE Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference, July 2011.
- C. Weber, J. He, C. Zhong, and H. Liu, “Multiband Architecture for high-speed SerDes,” DesignCon 2011, Santa Clara, CA, Jan. 2011.
- Paul Cull, “Biocomputation,” 20th European Meeting on Cybernetics and Systems Research, 2010. Caianiello Award for Biocybernetics.
- R. Whang, H. Liu, and E.K. Hong, “Multiuser cooperative relay communication employing hierarchical modulation,” IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, May 2010.
- Yuehua Xu, Alan Fern, and Sungwoon Yoon, “Iterative Learning of Weighted Rule Sets for Greedy Search,” Int’l Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling, 2010. Best Paper Runner-Up Award.
- Jill Cao, Yann Riche, Susan Wiedenbeck, Margaret Burnett, and Valentina Grigoreanu, “End-User Mashup Programming: Through the Design Lens,” ACM Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, April 2010. Best Paper Honorable Mention.
- J. He, H. Liu, and Z. Wang, “A fast ACSU architecture for Viterbi decoder using T-algorithm,” 43rd Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers, Nov. 2009. Best Student Paper Award Finalist.
- W. G. Finn, K. M. Carter, R. Raich, L. M. Stoolman, and A. O. Hero, “Analysis of clinical flow cytometric immunophenotyping data by clustering on statistical manifolds: Treating flow cytometry data as high dimensional objects,” Cytometry: Part B - Clinical Cytometry, Jan. 2009. Best Original Paper published in Clinical Cytometry for 2008-2009.
- Ronald Bjarnason, Alan Fern, Prasad Tadepalli, “Lower Bounding Klondike Solitaire with Monte-Carlo Planning,” Best Student Paper of ICAPS (International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling) 2009
- Martin Erwig and Eric Walkingshaw, “A DSL for Explaining Probabilistic Reasoning,” IFIP Working Conference on Domain-Specific Languages, 2009
- D. Tran, T. Nguyen, “Publish/Subscribe Service in CAN-based P2P Networks: Dimension Mismatch and the Random Projection Approach.” In Proceedings of IEEE Int’l Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN 2008)
- Paul Cull and Tai Hsu, “Biomimic Spider Double Stereo Vision by the Walking Tree Method,” Twentieth European Meeting on Cybernetics and Systems Research 2008
- Chris Chambers and Martin Erwig, “Dimension Inference in Spreadsheets,” IEEE Int. Symp. on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing, 2008
- Joseph Lawrance, Rachel Bellamy, Margaret Burnett, Kyle Rector, “Using Information Scent to Model the Dynamic Foraging Behavior of Programmers in Maintenance Tasks,” ACM Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, April 2008. Best Paper Honorable Mention.
- J. Ayers, K. Mayaram, and T. Fiez, “A low power BFSK super-regenerative transceiver,” ISCAS 2007, pp. 3099-3102, May 2007. Best Student Paper of ISCAS (IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems)
- Paul Cull and Tai Hsu, “The Walking Tree Method for 3D Vision,” Cybernetics and Systems 2006 (R. Trappl, ed.), Austrian Society for Cybernetic Studies
- Fountain, T., Dietterich, T. G., and Sudyka, B. (2000). “Mining IC Test Data to Optimize VLSI Testing,” In Proceedings of the Sixth ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery & Data Mining (pp. 18-25). ACM Press. Winner of Best Application Paper Award (Research Track)
- A. von Jouanne, A. Wallace, I. Husain, A. Yokochi, “Gone with the Wind: Innovative Hydrogen/Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Based on Renewable Energy Sources,” IEEE Industry Applications Magazine, Prize Paper Award (2005)
- Robin Abraham and Martin Erwig, “Header and Unit Interference for Spreadsheets through Spatial Analysis,” IEEE Int. Symposium on Visual Languages and Human Centric Computing, 2004
- John Wager, “Amorphous Multi-component Heavy Metal Cation Oxides for Thin-Film Transistor Applications,” Materials Research Society Symposium, Top 5 paper.
- Robin Abraham: Best Paper Award at IEEE Int. Symposium on Visual Languages and Human Centric Computing (2004)
- Peter Kurahashi, Pavan Hanumolu: Best Student Paper Award in 2006 at the Custom Integrated Circuits Conference, P. Kurahashi, P. Hanumolu, G. Temes, U-K. Moon, “A 0.6V Highly Linear Switched-R-MOSFET-C Filter”
- Martin Erwig, “A Foundation for Representing and Querying Moving Objects.” Most Cited ACM Trans. on Database Systems paper in Ten Years (1993-2004)
- Paul Cull, “Computer Models and Genetic Systems,” Cybernetics and Systems 2004 (R. Trappl, ed.), Austrian Society for Cybernetic Studies
- Tom Dietterich, JAIR Award for Best Paper in Previous Five Years (2003)
- Thinh Nguyen, “Distributed Video Streaming with Forward Error Correction,” Packet Video Workshop (2002)
- P. Cull and S. Larson, “Routing on Twisted Cube Networks,” SCI 2001, 5th World MultiConference Systemics, Cybernetics, and Informatics
- A. von Jouanne, P. Enjeti, W. Gray, “Application Issues for PWM Adjustable Speed AC Motor Drives,” IEEE Industry Applications Magazine, Prize Paper Award (1996)
- Toshi Minoura, Asahi Newspaper Prize, Invention and Development of a Rule Based Process Control Method for Plant Control (1988)