You are here
Graduate Programs: Application & Admission Requirements
Application & Admission Requirements
- Please note that all documents must be in PDF format and under 10 MB in size.
- In order for our application to be complete, the following information must be submitted in the online application:
- Fee: $75 USD for domestic students and $85 USD for international students by credit card (part of online application)
- Research Interest Areas: You must apply to a particular research interest area, not just to CS or ECE. (Students who wish to participate in the Software Innovation Track, rather than research, should refer to http://eecs.oregonstate.edu/future-students/graduate/ms-cs-innovation for instructions on completing this section.)
- Recommendation Letters: You must provide the names and email addresses of three professional references as part of the online application. The references will be emailed instructions on how to submit their letters.
- Three letters of professional reference are required from former professors or employers familiar with the applicant's technical ability. Particularly valuable are letters that assess the applicant's preparation and ability to complete a research project. Applicants with a master's degree should include the major professor as one reference. Do not submit paper letters of recommendation. Letters must be submitted electronically as part of the online application.
- Statement of Objectives: Please upload as a PDF to your online application.
- Applicants must include a description of their objectives in pursuing the advanced degree. This should be a brief (maximum of one page when printed) summary of the applicant's career goals, research interests, and pertinent experience. This information is submitted as part of the OSU online application.
- Resume/CV: Please upload a current copy as a PDF to your online application.
- Academic History: You must enter the information of your current university/degree/major (if attending) and any past university/degree/major.
- Prior Degree: Applicants must have or complete a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university before the start of the Fall term. International students must have completed the equivalent of a four-year American baccalaureate degree.
- Unofficial Transcripts: Applicants must upload unofficial copies of transcripts. Web printouts and kiosk copies are not accepted. Current and former Oregon State University students are not required to provide OSU transcripts.
- Grade Point Average (GPA): You must self-report your overall GPA. The School of EECS requires a minimum “B” average (3.00 GPA on a 4.00 scale) on the last two years of undergraduate work and any work completed thereafter.
- Effective July 1, 2008 for Fall 2009 admission or later, if the student has completed his or her baccalaureate degree in a country that is a signatory of the Bologna Declaration, then
- A baccalaureate degree of at least three years duration with a B average (equivalent 3.00 on a U.S. 4.00 grading scale) in the last two years, plus all subsequent graded course work;
- A baccalaureate degree of at least three years duration with a two-year (equivalent to 45-quarter credits) graduate degree.
- GRE: EECS requires the general GRE test for most, but not all, students. Scores must be self-reported and copy of scores must be uploaded to the application; web printouts and kiosks are not accepted. Scores cannot be more than five (5) years old at the time when graduate studies start.
- Applicants to Computer Science: The general GRE is required for all applicants. The minimum requirement is a combined score of 1200 (combined score of 310 for revised GRE test) on the Verbal and Quantitative sections. The subject test is not required.
- Applicants to Electrical and Computer Engineering: The general GRE is required for all international applicants (non U.S. citizens) unless a baccalaureate or advanced degree has been granted from a U.S. university. The minimum requirement is a combined score of 1300 (combined score of 315 for revised GRE test) on the Quantitative and Verbal portions and a 4.0 in the Analytical Writing portion. The subject test is not required.
- Many students ask if we will consider their application if their GRE score does not meet the minimum requirement. The GRE is just one way of evaluating a student’s abilities. If you feel your GPA, background, letters of recommendation, and professional experience are strong, then it is still possible for you to be admitted even though the GRE did not meet the minimum requirement!
- Course Equivalency Form (required for CS applicants only): You must fill out the Course Equivalency Form as part of the online application.
- TOEFL/IELTS: International students must self-report their scores and upload a copy of their scores to their application. Scores must be no older than 2 years at the time when graduate studies start.
- Language Proficiency: The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required of all international applicants whose native language is not English, including those transferring from English speaking colleges and universities (if in doubt about whether TOEFL/IELTS is required of applicants from your country, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- The TOEFL requirement is waived for applicants receiving a degree from a U.S. university and for applicants who have demonstrated success by achieving an overall GPA greater than 3.00 on a 4.00 scale for two or more semesters/quarters in a rigorous undergraduate or postgraduate program in the U.S. or from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and United Kingdom.
- Scores cannot be more than two (2) years old at the time when graduate studies start.
- The minimum TOEFL iBT requirement is an overall score of 80 with a minimum score of 18 in each of the four sub-tests (speaking, listening, reading, and writing).
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) may be used as an alternative to the TOEFL for assessing language proficiency. The minimum requirement is an overall score of 6.5.