- About EECS
- The EECS Experience
- Research Overview
- Research Areas
- Faculty Research Profiles
- Research Facilities
- Technology Transfer
- Research Opportunities for Undergraduates
- Online Library
- Industry Relations
EECS Weekly News - August 9, 2011
August 9, 2011
IN THE NEWS
OSU students build innovative tracking device
Students at Oregon State University have designed a device to track individuals in an indoor space, creating a system that can function where conventional GPS technology doesn’t work. The technology could have broad applications, such as in elderly care facilities to help detect when a patient has fallen, or find them if they become lost. It could also be used in research, to learn how activity levels are affected by medications or supplements. OSU news release
Study to explore use of open source software in energy industry
The Energy Sector Security Consortium and the Open Source Lab at Oregon State University will work together to study the use of open source software in the energy sector, especially as it relates to computer security. OSU news release
It’s 250 feet long, has millions of parts and can put nearly one million pounds into the air. And a number of Oregon State alumni are on the team that’s making the latest version of Boeing’s iconic jumbo jet — the 747-8 — a reality. Powered by Orange
The Grace Hopper conference is being held in Portland this year, and this gives female students here a great opportunity. If you apply and get selected as a student volunteer, and can arrange a place to stay in Portland (eg with friends or relatives), you can go for free. Grace Hopper is a conference for women in computing. It covers both technical and social/personal topics for women in computing. Most people who have gone find it inspiring. It's also a great way to connect with women at all levels in computer science (from just-starting-out students to famous computer science folks in academia and industry), starting a network of friends who you might see again and again over the years, when you go to conferences or eventually go to work for a company. http://gracehopper.org/2011/participate/hoppers/
Only one month until the deadline for winter term (January start) internships abroad!
With only one month until the winter term deadline for an international internship, now is the time to kick off your flip flops and get to work on your application. Over 140 internships are available around the world - from a new internship in Vietnam to an entry level career internship in Mexico City. IE3 scholarships make it more affordable than ever before. Details
Friday, August 12, 10am-noon, KEC 1007. PhD Final Oral Examination - Ramin Zanbaghi. Major Advisor: Terri Fiez; Co-Major Advisor: Gabor Temes; Committee: Pavan Hanumolu, Karti Mayaram; GCR: Thomas Schmidt. "Design Techniques for Low-Power High-Bandwidth High-Resolution Delta-Sigma Analog-to-Digital."
Recent job postings on Beaver JobNet
Students must apply through Beaver JobNet to access/apply for the postings. Using their onid accounts, students/alums can log in here: https://oregonstate-csm.symplicity.com/students/. Any issues with Beaver JobNet, contact Cheryl.L.Herring@oregonstate.edu.
- CAReer - The Talent Program - Electrical Validation Engineer | Daimler Trucks North America
- Project Analyst | CampusPoint
- Web Developer | LateralSports.com
- Java Developer | The Longsight Group
- SW Engineer | INTEL CORPORATION
- Pre Sales Lead Development Engineer | MENTOR GRAPHICS
- New Grad Semiconductor Engineer | Cree, Inc.
- Web Developer | Lithia Motors, Inc.
- Analyst Programmer | OSU Valley Library
- Electronics Engineer | Hill Air Force Base, 309th Software Maintenance Group
- Intern (QA/Test) | Puppet Labs
- Software Engineer (Entry Level) | Rosen Aviation, LLC
- Intern (Front-End Engineering) | CampusPoint
- Research Associate/ Software Sales Specialist | CampusPoint
- 2012 Financial Application Engineer | Bloomberg
- 2012 Financial Software Developer | Bloomberg
- 2012 Financial Software Developer Intern | Bloomberg
- Associate Account Manager – PCB | MENTOR GRAPHICS
- Associate Applications Engineer – Cable Harness | MENTOR GRAPHICS
- Associate Applications Engineer – Place and Route/Olympus | MENTOR GRAPHICS
- Associate Rotation Engineer - DFT | MENTOR GRAPHICS
Analyst Programmer, Oregon State University Libraries and Press. The person in this position advances the Libraries’ strategic plan by working on the OSU Libraries’ and Press’ web programming initiatives including the development and programming of new initiatives, as well as enhancing, managing, assessing and administering existing initiatives like Library a la Carte, an open-source content management system developed at OSU Libraries, the Library’s discovery tools, such as Summon, and mobile projects. The person filling this position will supervise a team of student programmers, and will provide direction in usability and sociability for the library’s web presence as well as supporting the general programming needs for the Libraries. Details
Micron is hiring! For more information and to apply for these positions please visit www.micron.com/jobs.
- Param Engineer
- Corpomod Product Development Eng.
- Module Test Engineer
- SSD Test Engineer
- CAD Engineer
- Design Engineer
- Analog Design Engineer
- Assembly Automation Engineer
- Advanced Packaging R&D Design Eng.
- Automation Software Eng. (Pilot Fab)
- R&D Metrology Engineer
- R&D RDA Process Engineer
- R&D Yield Enhancement Engineer
Software engineer, Rosen Aviation. Designs, implements, tests and supports software that meets organizational goals and requirements. Responsible for the successful implementation and control of all aspects of the software life cycle. Provides sustaining engineering support for released products. Details
Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence Application Intern, Intel Corporation. This project is to explore artificial intelligence techniques to improve and automate problem management analysis to aid the problem specialists get to the root cause or problems faster. We have over a million incidents in our environments and a manual analysis of these incidents is close to impossible. Using AI we expect to understand the “clusters” and the “possible causations” from a data centric perspective and enable the problem management process to be successful. Details
Information Services-Enterprise Computing Services is seeking an Associate Director of OUS Services. This position has responsibility for hosting the Banner administrative software for the "5th Site" institutions and providing appropriate software development within that environment. The Associate Director is responsible for ensuring that the team meets Enterprise Computing Services, Information Services and Oregon State University and Oregon University System goals. Details
Teach For America has launched its 2012 application. The first deadline this year is on August 19th. Of the 15.5 million children growing up in poverty, only 1 in 10 will ever graduate from college. That’s ~14 million children that have a higher likelihood of going to prison than graduating from college. Join the thousands of others working to combat this inequality with just a resume and a 500 word essay. Benefits include: Full salary and benefits; Two year deferral/forbearance on loans; AmeriCorps Education Award of $11,500 over two years; Graduate school and employer partnerships. Details
Don't forget to check out the AfterCollege job site, tailored especially for our EECS students. Sample jobs:
- Cryptanalytic Computer Network Operations Development Program The NSA has established the Cryptanalytic Computer Network Operations Development Program (C2DP) for highly motivated and talented Computer Scientists, Mathematicians, Engineers and other related professionals. Upon conclusion of the 3-year program, each graduate will be placed in an office relating to the program's core competencies based jointly on the needs of the mission and the participant's preferences.
- Run to success with Zones, Inc. Who we work with strengthens our business and contributes to our success. As part of the Zones team, you will interact with our customers, industry specialists, sales support teams, and representatives from our vendor partners. We're hiring in Washington (HQ), Oregon and Illinois.
- AthenaHealth ETL DEVELOPER - MUST WORK SAT & SUN WITH 2 MID-WEEK DAYS OFF (Alpharetta, GA)
- Idaho National Laboratory High Performance Computing Software Consultant (SE3/4) #6719 (Idaho Falls, ID)
- John Deere Part-Time Student - Computer Science - Moline - (Job Number: 50443298) (Moline, IL); Embedded Software Engineer - (Job Number: 50444859) (Dubuque, Iowa); Test Engineer - Electronic Hardware - (Job Number: 50443874) (Urbandale, Iowa)
- Laufer Wind Group System Engineer/Analyst (Bedford, NH)
- Numerica Credit Union Web and Information Technology Specialist (Spokane, WA); Information Technology Specialist Part Time (Spokane, WA)
- Professional Technical Resources Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Portland, OR); Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Portland, OR); Senior.NET Developer (Portland, OR)
- Raytheon Information Assurance Officer I (Reston, VA)
- Skolix LLC BA/ Java/Web Application Server (Dallas, TX)
- TaskRabbit Ruby on Rails Engineer (San Francisco, CA)
- The Boeing Company Materials, Process & Physics Engineer 1/2 (Kent, WA); Design and Analysis Engineer 1/2 (Everett, WA)
- Adobe Engineering Manager- Creative Suite Solutions Enablement (Seattle, WA)
- Allied Informatics, Inc Java Technical Lead (Oregon City, OR)
- ARRIS Group, Inc. Manager, Software Engineering (Beaverton, OR); Manager, Software Engineering (Beaverton, OR)
- Arth Systems SDET (Redmond, WA)
- Bungie Mobile Application Programmer (Bellevue, WA); Server Programmer (Bellevue, WA)
- Bungie Studios Mobile Application Programmer (Bellevue, WA)
- Cigital, Inc. Managing Consultant (Seattle, WA); Managing Consultant (Seattle, WA)
- Cillium Corp MySQL Database Administrator (Seattle, WA)
Want to include an item in this newsletter? Send the info here.