August 16, 2011
IN THE NEWS
OSU team makes indoor tracking device
Traditional GPS can usually get you from one building to another. But when you go inside a building, GPS doesn't help much. Oregon State University student researchers have now figured out how to pinpoint your position inside a building, and the technology has practical purposes in the medical field. KVAL (video)
The Grace Hopper conference is being held in Portland this year, and this gives female students here a great opportunity. If you apply and get selected as a student volunteer, and can arrange a place to stay in Portland (eg with friends or relatives), you can go for free. Grace Hopper is a conference for women in computing. It covers both technical and social/personal topics for women in computing. Most people who have gone find it inspiring. It's also a great way to connect with women at all levels in computer science (from just-starting-out students to famous computer science folks in academia and industry), starting a network of friends who you might see again and again over the years, when you go to conferences or eventually go to work for a company. http://gracehopper.org/2011/participate/hoppers/
Wednesday, August 17, 9:30-11:30 am, KEC 1007. PhD Final Oral Examination - Chad Stillinger. Major Advisor: Ted Brekken; Co-Major Advisor: Bob Paasch; Committee: Annette von Jouanne, Alex Yokochi; GCR: Keith Levien. "On the Study of WEC Prototype Advancement with Consideration of Real-Time Life Extending Control." Details
Recent job postings on Beaver JobNet
Students must apply through Beaver JobNet to access/apply for the postings. Using their onid accounts, students/alums can log in here: https://oregonstate-csm.symplicity.com/students/. Any issues with Beaver JobNet, contact Cheryl.L.Herring@oregonstate.edu.
- Entry Level Software Developer/Customer Support Engineer | Selectron Technologies
- Inside Sales HVAC Manufacturer’s Representative | Oregon Air Reps, Inc.
- Mobile Web Developer | moovweb
- S/W Development Engineer – EDA Tools | MENTOR GRAPHICS
- Software Developer Intern | Selectron Technologies
- Field Technician/Programmer | ProAutomated, Inc.
- Piping Engineer I | Jacobs Engineering
- Software Engineer | Infogroup
- Various Engineering Positions | NW Natural
- Analog/Mixed Signal IC Design Engineer | Voxtel, Inc.
- Programmer/Analyst Advanced | Research Corp
- CAReer - The Talent Program - Electrical Validation Engineer | Daimler Trucks North America
Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence Application Intern, Intel Corporation. This project is to explore artificial intelligence techniques to improve and automate problem management analysis to aid the problem specialists get to the root cause or problems faster. We have over a million incidents in our environments and a manual analysis of these incidents is close to impossible. Using AI we expect to understand the “clusters” and the “possible causations” from a data centric perspective and enable the problem management process to be successful. Details
Don't forget to check out the AfterCollege job site, tailored especially for our EECS students. Sample jobs:
- Delta Information Systems, Inc. Cobol Programmer-Analyst III (Salem, OR)
- Idaho National Laboratory High Performance Computing Software Consultant (SE3/4) #6719 (Idaho Falls, ID)
- Laserfiche Presales Engineer (Long Beach, CA); Solutions Engineer (Long Beach, CA); Software Engineer/Web Technologies (Long Beach, CA)
- Professional Technical Resources .NET Developer (Portland, OR)
- Verizon Wireless Sr Systems Analyst (IT) (Walnut Creek, CA); Test Engineer(nPhase) (San Diego, CA); Technician-Systems (Southlake, TX)
- Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic Network Engineer (Toppenish, WA); Network Engineer (Toppenish, WA); Network Engineer (Toppenish, WA)
- Allied Informatics, Inc 025879 - Java Technical Lead (Oregon City, OR)
- Amtex Systems.com ORACLE DBA SHA010 (Bothell, WA); Oracle DBA SHA010 (Bothell, WA)
- Atem Corp Centricity Programmer (Seattle, WA); Centricity Programmer (Seattle, WA)
- Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory Model Simulation Programmer (Idaho Falls, ID)
- Booz Allen Hamilton, Inc Cloud Computing Consultant, Mid Job (Seattle, WA)
- Bungie Studios Mobile Application Programmer (Bellevue, WA)
- CompNova Implementation consultant (Bellevue, WA)
- Con-way, Inc. Category Sourcg Mgr (Portland, OR); Category Sourcg Mgr (Portland, OR)
- Deloitte Manager: Oracle Identity & Access Management (OIM, OAM) (Seattle, WA)
- Diaspark, Inc. iphone Developer (Seattle, WA)
Want to include an item in this newsletter? Send the info here.