- About EECS
- The EECS Experience
- Research Overview
- Research Areas
- Research Facilities
- Technology Transfer
- Research Opportunities for Undergraduates
- Online Library
- Industry Relations
December 6, 2011
December 6, 2011
IN THE NEWS
Wave energy team moves ahead with OSU test
A small crowd of people gathered Friday around the wave flume at Hinsdale Wave Research Lab at Oregon State University. Below the surging water was a new invention that has been 20 years in the making: a device that harvests energy from the floor of the ocean. Corvallis Gazette-Times
CS graduate student Jill Cao is one of only 14 students worldwide to be invited to participate in the ACM CHI Doctoral Symposium. This is a 2-day event in which students discuss their dissertation research with each other and with top faculty mentors in the area. It is very competitive, and only top emerging students in the Human-Computer Interaction area are invited.
The Innovation Roadtrip is a special opportunity Green RV Roadtrip — just with a little more of a focus. The Green RV Roadtrip is three Roadtrippers joining Roadtrip Nation to hit the Road in our Green RVs and speak with Leaders across the nation to find out the steps they took to get to where they are today. Our film crew documents the experience, which may be part of our documentary series, Roadtrip Nation, on public television and in our educational curricula for middle school and high school students. The trips are typically six consecutive weeks during the months of June, July, or August. Details
Intel Innovators is a nationwide competition to inspire, discover and award the best game-changing ideas up to $100,000 every month. Intel has gathered an impressive panel of start-up and technology experts from Ron Conway’s SV Angel firm, seed investor Betaworks, and Intel Capital to evaluate submissions and select the most promising ideas. But only ideas with the most Facebook votes will get a shot at winning up to $100,000—no strings attached. Submissions are ongoing. Round 2 submission deadline for ideas is 12:00pm EST on December 13, 2011. Details
The CRA-W/CDC Distributed Research Experiences for Undergraduates (DREU) Program matches promising undergraduates with a faculty mentor for a summer research experience at the faculty member's home institution. The objective of the DREU is to increase the number of women and students from underrepresented groups, including ethnic minorities and persons with disabilities, entering graduate studies in the fields of computer science and engineering. The DREU experience is invaluable for students who are considering graduate school, providing them with a close-up view of what graduate school is really like and also increasing their competitiveness as an applicant for graduate admissions and fellowships. Details
The Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship (MLEF) is a 10-week paid summer internship with opportunities in the US Department of Energy, Office of Fossil Energy, for women and minority students who are currently enrolled in Science, Technology (IT), Engineering, and Math majors at an accredited college or university. Applicants must be a US citizen. Undergraduate students completing their sophomore year in Spring 2012 through PhD candidates. Application deadline: December 31, 2011. Details
Tuesday, December 6, 9-11am, KEC 1007. MS Final Oral Examination - Islam Almusaly. Major Advisor: Ronald Metoyer; Committee: Mike Bailey, Glencora Borradaile. "Fingers Animation." Details
Tuesday, December 6, 10am-12noon, KEC 3114. PhD Oral Preliminary Examination - Majid Adeli. Major Advisor: Huaping Liu; Committee: Bella Bose, Bechir Hamdaoui, Thinh Nguyen; GCR: Yevgeniy Kovchegov. "On the Security of Network Coding." Details
Wednesday, December 7, 1-3pm, KEC 3114. MS Final Oral Examination – Seyed Soroush Ghorashi. Major Advisor: Carlos Jensen; Committee: Margaret Burnett, Christopher Scaffidi, Ronald Metoyer; GCR: John Nairn. "Leyline: A Provenance-based Desktop Search System Using a Graphical Sketchpad Interface." Details
Friday, December 9, 1-3pm, KEC 1007. MS Final Oral Examination – Zhe Zhang. Major Advisor: Ted Brekken; Committee: Annette von Jouanne, Ean Amon; GCR: Roberto Albertani. "Development of Adaptive Damping Power Take-Off Control for a Three-Body Wave Energy Converter with Numerical Modeling and Validation." Details
Recent job postings on Beaver JobNet
Students must apply through Beaver JobNet to access/apply for the postings. Using their onid accounts, students/alums can log in here: https://oregonstate-csm.symplicity.com/students/. Any issues with Beaver JobNet, contact Cheryl.L.Herring@oregonstate.edu.
- Business Intelligence Analyst, Vensoft Inc
- Business Intelligence Developer, Vensoft Inc.
- Microsoft .Net Developer, Vensoft Inc.
- Software Quality Analyst, Vensoft Inc.
- Circuit Design Engineer, Dolphin Technology, Inc.
- Entry-Level Engineering Program, GEORGIA-PACIFIC
- Systems Validation Engineer, Graphic Products, Inc.
PAID INTERNSHIPS and MENTORING for students with disabilities pursuing computing! AccessComputing would like to invite your students who are pursuing computer science or other computing-related majors with disabilities to join our AccessComputing team. AccessComputing, led by the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Washington and DO-IT (Disabilities, Opportunities, Internetworking, and Technology) and funded by the National Science Foundation, aims to increase the participation of people with disabilities in computing careers. Details
Electrical Engineer, consumer product design, Trail Tech Inc. Qualified candidate will work closely with mechanical engineers, software engineers, industrial designers, product managers, manufacturing managers and vendors to insure successful projects. Design and development of Analog and Digital circuits. Schematic entry, PCB design, component specification, BOM generation and prototype. Embedded Microcontroller and related firmware specification. Design and implement life/functional tests; create reports, fault finding and countermeasure to component level. Details
The Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) seeks qualified candidates to fill the research position of computer scientist/engineer. This position entails working as a member of a research team contributing to national computer science research programs in support of national defense, in several areas, including GPU computing, high performance libraries, adaptive optimizations, algorithm analysis, future computing platforms analysis, and implementation of demanding applications on emerging and novel computing platforms. This job includes contributing to the development of new programs through interaction with customers in presentations and demonstrations along with proposal and report preparation. Details
2012 START Leader, OSU New Student Programs & Family Outreach. New Student Programs & Family Outreach is seeking to employ qualified, currently enrolled undergraduate students who are enthusiastic, hard-working and committed to assisting prospective and/or incoming students and their families through OSU’s START program. START is the summer advising and registration program for incoming students and their families. START leaders will take away new skills and experiences that will open doors and aid them in future careers and opportunities. Details
Operating Systems-Network Analyst, competency level 3, position for the Research Office at Oregon State University. The purpose of this position is to analyze, design, implement and maintain data capturing and reporting systems via web and database technology; provide technical assistance, operations instructions, diagnostic help, purchasing of computer systems for the Research Office staff; serve as liaison with various OSU groups; provide critical skills and allocate technical resources in a changing environment while working independently and with minimal supervision. Details
Jobs listed through LinkedIn
- System Design Engineer | TRS Staffing Solutions - Corvallis,
- Assistant Director of Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence | Regence BlueCross BlueShield - Portland, Oregon
- Data Analyst - North America | Vestas - Portland, OR
- Software Engineer - Android | Experis formerly COMSYS - Hillsboro, Oregon
- Systems Engineer | Experis formerly COMSYS - Hillsboro, Oregon
- Validation Engineer | Experis formerly COMSYS - Hillsboro, Oregon
- Database Engineer | Experis formerly COMSYS - Hillsboro, Oregon
- Electrical Designer - Prefer Tool Install Experience | M+W U.S., Inc. – A Company of the M+W Group - Hillsboro
- Web Developer | Palo Alto Software - Eugene, Oregon Area
- Field Quality Data Analyst - 664522 | Hewlett-Packard - Corvallis, Oregon Area
Don’t forget to check out the AfterCollege job site, tailored especially for our EECS students. Sample jobs:
- Applied Predictive Technologies (APT) - Taking applicants from all over the US At APT, every employee has the opportunity to dive in, take ownership, and make their own mark on the company's development. With a powerful analytic software platform at its heart, APT is revolutionizing the way Fortune 500 companies think of developing their business strategy. APT provides an opportunity for unparalleled professional growth and an environment where you can make a difference. Applicants from across the US are encouraged to apply.
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory/www.pnnl.gov Post Doctorate RA - HPC Performance Analyst and Modeler (Richland, WA); Post Doctorate RA - Multithreaded Systems for Irregular Computation (Seattle, WA)
- Raytheon Software Engineer II (Tucson, AZ)
- Technicolor IT Audit Specialist, Project Management (Indianapolis, IN)
- Verizon Wireless Manager of Java Programmers (Bellevue, WA)
- 132670 Software Development Manager, Instant Video (Seattle, WA)
- 152306 Software Development Manager (Seattle, WA)
- Adecco Software Programmer (C#/.NET) (Portland, OR)
- Cigital, Inc. Managing Consultant (Seattle, WA); Managing Consultant (Seattle, WA)
- Coinstar Leader of Technology (Bellevue, WA); Leader of Technology (Bellevue, WA)
- CSC System Administrator - Corvallis, Oregon (Corvallis, OR)
- David Evans and Associates, Inc. Software Programmer 3 - Misc. Languages (Portland, OR)
- Dell Dell Force10 Enterprise Technical Support Consultant (Seattle, WA)
- Deloitte Manager: Oracle Identity & Access Management (OIM, OAM) (Seattle, WA); Consultant: Identity & Access Management CA r12 Speciali (Seattle, WA)
- EsterlineElectrical Engineering Manager (2532) (Everett, WA)
Want to include an item in this newsletter? Send the info here.