Walking at the OSU commencement this year? Use #BeaverGrad14 on your social media posts before, during, and after the event!
Contribute Photos for the EECS Graduation Slideshow
At the EECS graduation celebration, a slideshow of students and events plays while the audience gets seated and waits for the ceremony to start. You can contribute photos to this slideshow through Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/groups/2621338@N20/pool/ or Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/761332810557253/. Remember, if you wouldn't want your grandma to see certain photos, you shouldn't submit them.
IN THE NEWS
Computer science student beats odds, hopes to expand computer usability
The odds were stacked against Charles Hill ever receiving a computer science degree from Oregon State University. But with the help of an OSU professor and others who believed in him, Hill will participate in commencement ceremonies in June and graduate this summer with a degree in computer science. He will also go on to pursue a doctoral degree, as one of only 13 Google Lime Scholars in the nation – $10,000 awards made to students with mental or physical disadvantages to encourage them to stay in the field of engineering. OSU news release
Alumnus Marcus Turner: Early Lessons in Exceeding Expectations
Marcus Turner has no doubt as to how he managed a successful career in computer science, which began at Hewlett-Packard in Corvallis. “The best thing my parents ever did for me was to instill a drive and passion to be the hardest worker,” Turner said. EECS
Oregon State Mars Rover Team Competes in NASA Challenge
Five members of Oregon State’s Robotics club on the Mars Rover team took their finals early so they could travel this week to Worcester, Mass. for the 2014 Sample Return Robot Challenge. The event is hosted by NASA and Worcester Polytechnic Institute and has nearly $1.5 million available for prize money. EECS
NASA Offering $1.5M Prize in New Centennial ChallengeEighteen teams of citizen inventors from across the globe will compete in the 2014 NASA Centennial Challenges Sample Return Robot Challenge June 11-13 on the campus of Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) in Worcester, Massachusetts. The teams must demonstrate a robot that can locate and collect geologic samples from a wide and varied landscape without human control. New teams entering the competition include the Oregon State University Mars Rover Team of Corvallis. Product Design & Development, SpaceRef
Design a web site this Summer! The CS 195 Beginning Web Authoring course will teach you the basics of web site development:
- Design and production with HTML5, CSS3, and PHP
- Graphic design and image optimization
- Site management
- Online promotion
In just 4 weeks, you'll have a functional web site for the topic of your choice. Build a site for your portfolio, club, or friends and family. No textbook cost or lab fees! Sign up right away! 4 Credits. Taught online.
Then if you enjoyed that, take the CS 295 Intermediate class the second 4 weeks and improve on those skills, add dynamic functions, and create another professional site with all the bells and whistles! 4 credits. Taught online. http://people.oregonstate.edu/~vanlondp/testing/
Are you savvy? Enroll in WGSS 320 Gender & Technology to meet the BACC Science Technology Synthesis requirements through meaningful activities:
- Research and write about the social and economic impacts of women in the technology industry.
- See technology products through a Gender Lens.
- Discuss trends in STEM and STEAM.
- Learn to add your research and writing to a web site.
- Plan for your greatest dream!
No textbook cost! 3 credits. Offered online. http://people.oregonstate.edu/~vanlondp/wgss320/
Need Graduate Credit? Then take the WGSS 525 version of Gender & Technology. 3 credits. Offered online.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY: Tech Trek camp
Calling all faculty and students in the STEM fields, beef up your resume by helping at a Tech Trek camp for 8th grade girls the week of June 22, for some or all the week, at Tillamook Bay Community College on the Oregon Coast. Give a presentation one or multiple days, or be a "dorm monitor" (might include room and board). For more information visit techtrek-or.aauw.net.
Apply Now for Broader Engagement, HPC for Undergrads, Student Volunteers
Applications are now being accepted for three initiatives comprising SC14 HPC Interconnections program, which provides a welcoming entry for attendees who may be new to the community or the conference. Application Deadline: June 15, 2014. Details
- Broader Engagement seeks to increase the participation of individuals who have been traditionally under-represented in HPC. The Broader Engagement Program offers special activities to introduce, engage and support a diverse community in the conference and in HPC.
- Experiencing HPC for Undergraduates introduces undergraduate students at the sophomore level and above to HPC research topics and techniques. The program introduces various aspects of HPC research at the SC14 Conference to increase awareness of research and career opportunities.
- Student Volunteers help with the administration of the conference and have the opportunity to participate in student-oriented activities. In exchange for volunteering, students receive complimentary conference registration and meals.
Collegiate Inventors Competition
Join the nation’s most exciting competition that encourages invention, entrepreneurship and creativity in students who are working on cutting-edge inventions at their colleges and universities. Outstanding inventions in STEM and other creative fields are judged by a panel of National Inventors Hall of Fame Inductees and United States Patent and Trademark Office officials – the most influential inventors and invention experts in the nation – for feedback, brainstorming and encouragement on taking inventions to the next level of innovation. In addition to networking with some of our nation’s foremost innovators, you’ll also compete for over $100,000 in cash prizes and represent your school in competition among the country’s most inventive universities. Application deadline: June 15. Details
Portland's Techno-Activism Third Mondays
Monday, June 16, 6pm-7:30pm, Flux Feminist Hackerspace, 412 NW Couch St, Portland, OR
"User Experience and Privacy Software" presented by Jennifer Davidson and Sean McGregor. More info and to RSVP: http://ta3m-pdx-11.eventbrite.com
Tuesday, June 10, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM, KEC 3114. MS Final Examination – Zeyu You. Major Advisor: Raviv Raich; Committee: Xiaoli Fern, Thinh Nguyen; GCR: Oksana Ostroverkhova. "A Statistical Inference Framework for Finding Recurring Patterns in Large Data with Applications to Energy Management." Details
Tuesday, June 10, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM, KEC 1007. PhD Final Oral Examination – Jennifer Davidson. Major Advisor: Carlos Jensen; Minor Advisor: Karen Hooker; Committee: Margaret Burnett, Ron Metoyer; GCR: Daniel Borello. "Involving Older Adults in the Design and Development of Free/Open Source Software." Details
Tuesday, June 10, 3:30 PM - 5:30 PM, KEC 1005. MS Final Examination – Yun Yang. Major Advisor: Huaping Liu; Committee: Thinh Nguyen, Stephen Redfield; GCR: Abi Farsoni. "Decoding Channel Coded Higher-order QAM Signals over Additive Gaussian and Rayleigh Fading Channels." Details
Wednesday, June 11, 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM, KEC 1114. PhD Oral Preliminary Examination – Mohammad Sorower. Major Advisor: Thomas Dietterich; Committee: Prasad Tadepalli, Alan Fern, Xiaoli Fern; GCR: Harry Yeh. "Tag-based Information Management in TaskTracer." Details
Thursday, June 12, 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM, KEC 4107. PhD Oral Preliminary Examination – Xin Meng. Major Advisor: Gabor Temes; Committee: Karti Mayaram, Arun Natarajan, Raviv Raich; GCR: Roberto Albertani. "Low-Distortion Wideband Delta-Sigma ADCs with Shifted Loop Delays." Details
Friday, June 13, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM, KEC 1005. MS Final Examination – Xueyi Wang. Major Advisor: Glencora Borradaile; Committee: Mike Rosulek, Molly Megraw. "Generating Random Graphs with Certain Properties." Details
Friday, June 13, 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM, KEC 3114. PhD Final Oral Examination – Steven Gaskill. Major Advisor: Andreas Weisshaar; Committee: Albrecht Jander, Ted Brekken, Gabor Temes; GCR: Karl Schilke. "Equivalent Circuit Modeling of On-Chip Magnetic Devices Based on Terminal Measurements." Details
Math and CSE Student Scholarships
The deadline for AfterCollege scholarships is coming up on Monday, June 30. All currently enrolled Math and Computer Science & Engineering students are eligible for the following scholarships. Details
AfterCollege STEM Inclusion Scholarship
$1,000 - Open to students working toward a degree in a field of Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics from a group underrepresented in their field of study.
AfterCollege Engineering Student Scholarship
$500 - Open to students working toward a degree in any field of engineering.
NSA Mathematics & Computer Science Student Scholarship
$500 - Open to students working toward a degree in the fields of computer science, computer engineering, or mathematics.
AfterCollege Analytics Student Scholarship
$500 - Open to students working toward a degree in any discipline interested in a future career in analytics.
AfterCollege Succurro Scholarship
$1,000 - Open to students of all majors.
Recent job postings on Beaver JobNet
Students must apply through Beaver JobNet to access/apply for the postings. Using their onid accounts, students/alums can log in here: https://oregonstate-csm.symplicity.com/students/. Any issues with Beaver JobNet, contact Cheryl.L.Herring@oregonstate.edu.
Tutors, Cardinal Scholars. Cardinal Scholars is an in-home and online tutoring service that gives exceptional tutors the chance to be matched with local students in need of additional academic support. We connect tutors with students seeking help with college, high school, middle school and elementary material. We're seeking tutors who meet the following criteria: are fantastic teachers and have experience teaching others; are academically curious and intelligent; attend or have graduated from Oregon State University as either an undergraduate, graduate, or professional student. Details
Zoology graduate student seeking undergraduate volunteers. I am primarily looking for undergraduates who would be interested in transforming some of our classroom activities into apps, hopefully for multiple systems. In addition, there are often physical experimental challenges to overcome, in the past we have done thing such as design experimental chambers, camera systems, and the software to control them. In addition, I work with some modeling and mapping that uses the physiological limits we have established in the lab and projects them across a landscape scale and into the future with multiple climate scenarios. Details
Quality Assurance Test Engineering Intern, Trimble. This position will require testing survey instruments and data collector software indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions. The position will also require extended periods of standing to monitor and work with total stations, GNSS receivers and other testing equipment. Your responsibilities will include: execute existing and assist in the development of new software test plans; analyze and report test results; report and track issues through resolution; work closely with software engineering and product marketing; analyze interactions in a complex system that spans a wide variety of platforms; perform a variety of tasks and responsibilities as needed and assigned. Details
Civil or Electrical Engineering intern, Eugene Water & Electric Board. The position is approximately 12 weeks and is available mid-June 2014 through approximately September 2014. A Civil or Electrical Engineering major is required and knowledge about power generation, distribution, and electrical controls/instrumentation is a plus. Under the guidance of multiple experienced engineers, the successful candidate will be involved in several assignments for EWEB's Engineering department. Projects may include: Downtown Network conduit and equipment ID and mapping; Control system documentation and research for our Generation Department; and inputting modeling data for electric systems. Details
Staff Analog & Mixed-Signal IC Design Engineer, Infinera. Infinera is seeking a Staff Analog & Mixed-Signal IC Design Engineer to create innovative products in a fast-paced and collaborative team environment. The engineer will be hands-on with all phases of R&D including product definition, system analysis, circuit design, layout, verification, bring-up, DVT, qualification, test and production ramp-up. As a member of a vertically-integrated team, the engineer will be directly supporting system level customers and will be closely working with product, operations and reliability teams. The engineer must be an expert in analog and mixed-signal circuit and system design and analysis. A demonstrated ability to synthesize compelling solutions from complex requirements while meeting product and operational constraints is critical. The self-motivated engineer must be able to anticipate problems and devise effective solutions. Details
Staff Analog & Mixed-Signal IC Verification Engineer, Infinera. Infinera is seeking a Staff Analog & Mixed-Signal IC Verification Engineer to create innovative products in a fast-paced and collaborative team environment. The engineer will be hands-on with all phases of R&D including product definition, system analysis, circuit design, layout, verification, bring-up, DVT, qualification, test and production ramp-up. As a member of a vertically-integrated team, the engineer will be directly supporting system level customers and will be closely working with product, operations and reliability teams. The engineer must be an expert in analog and mixed-signal circuit and system verification. A demonstrated ability to synthesize compelling solutions from complex requirements while meeting product and operational constraints is critical. The self-motivated engineer must be able to anticipate problems and devise effective solutions. Details
Partial list of jobs posted in the past week through LinkedIn (these are just a few of the hundreds of jobs listed)
- UX Designer | NIC - Salem, Oregon
- Controls Engineer | Callisto Integration - Albany OR
- Pre-Silicon Validation Tools Engineer | Intel - Hillsboro, OR
- QA Automation Intern | InComm - Portland, Oregon Area
- Multimedia Validation Engineer - Emerging Android Technology | Room 5 - Hillsboro, Oregon
- Information Technology Systems Analyst/Engineer | Tillamook People's Utility District - Portland, Oregon Area
- Automation Engineer II | Genentech - Hillsboro, OR
- Equipment Engineer-Metals Deposition | Maxim Integrated - BEAVERTON, OR
- Software/Firmware Intern - 3rd Year Complete | HP - Vancouver, WA
- Developer / Cloud Administrator - .NET, Systems Administration | CyberCoders - Portland, OR
- Firmware Development Engineer | CyberCoders - Portland, OR
- Software Solutions Engineer Undergraduate Internship - Fall 2014 | The Walt Disney Company - Seattle, WA
- Project Designer, Electrical Engineering | Sparling - Greater Seattle Area
- Signal Processing Algorithm Developer | Meteorcomm - Renton, WA
- Quality Engineer 1\2 | The Boeing Company - Everett, WA
- Presales Engineer-HP Networking | Zones - Greater Seattle Area
- Software Development Engineer II (Java) | Expedia, Inc. - Bellevue, WA
- Data Integration Specialist | Russell Investments - Seattle
- Software Developer | Peak Medical Technologies - Seattle
- Digital Optimization & Testing Analyst | Eddie Bauer - Greater Seattle Area
- Embedded Software Engineer- Great early career opportunity! | Physio-Control, Inc. - Greater Seattle Area
- Associate .NET Developer | PEMCO - Seattle, WA
- Software Engineering Intern, Fall 2014 | Google - Seattle, WA
- Component Engineer II | Crane Aerospace & Electronics - Greater Seattle Area
- Software Engineer-UI | Staples - Seattle, WA
- Data Engineer | IXL Learning - San Mateo, CA
- Web Analytics Engineer | Art.com - San Francisco Bay Area
- Applications Software Development Engineer II | Fujitsu - Sunnyvale, CA
- Apps Programmer/analyst 2 | Wells Fargo - San Francisco Bay Area
- Oracle PL/SQL Developer | ArrowCore Group - San Diego
- Software Engineer 2, Quality | eBay - San Jose, CA
- Assoc Mobile App Developer (University Hire) | SanDisk - Milpitas, CA
- Design/Verification Engineer | SanDisk - Milpitas, CA
- Intern: Software Engineer I (University Hire) | SanDisk - Milpitas, CA
- Intern - Bluetooth Apps | Broadcom - San Diego, CA
- Software Engineer - Platform developer – Big data | Twelvefold - SOMA
- Software Engineer, Platform Services | DeNA West - San Francisco Bay Area
- iOS Developer | OnBeep - San Francisco Bay Area
- Engineer Systems 2 | Northrop Grumman Corporation - Greater San Diego Area
- Jr. Apex.Visual Force Developer | Apttus - San Mateo, CA
- Product Engineer - Junior EE | Oracle - Santa Clara, CA
- Robotics Integrator | Taylor Guitars - El Cajon, CA
- Database Analyst - Data Quality | Williams-Sonoma Inc. - San Francisco
- Intellectual Property (IP) Engineer/Patent Engineer (EE degree) | Power Integrations - San Jose, CA
- Power Systems Design and Verification - (All skill levels and locations) | Qualcomm - San Diego, CA
- College Graduate Software Engineering Careers @ Qualcomm | Low-Level Embedded Design & Development | Qualcomm - San Diego, CA
- Intern - ASIC/HW | Broadcom Corporation - San Jose, CA
- Web Developer | Pac-12 Networks - San Francisco
- Software Development Engineer - Junior | Samsung Electronics - San Jose, CA
- Electrical Test Engineer, Intern/Co-Op | Facebook - Menlo Park, CA
Don’t forget to check out the AfterCollege job site, tailored especially for our EECS students. Sample jobs:
- Back-end Java Developer | CSC - Los Angeles, CA
- Magento E-Commerce Web Developer | State of Oregon - Portland, OR
- Java Web Developer (Junior-Mid Level) | QuinStreet - Foster City, CA
- Software Engineer I | Davidson Technologies - Colorado Springs, CO
- Java Developer Recent College Graduate (Public Trust) | Hewlett-Packard - Seaside, CA
- Software Engineer | MIND Research Institute - Irvine, CA
- Staff GUI Developer Job | SanDisk Corporation - Milpitas, CA
- SQL Developer | American Cybersystems - Long Beach, CA
- Software Engineer | Anritsu - Morgan Hill, CA
- Associate Software Engineer (New Grad) | eHarmony.com - Santa Monica, CA
- Software Engineer - Embedded/Control Systems | State of Oregon - Cornelius, OR
- Full-time/New Grad Software Engineer | Zynga Game Network - San Francisco, CA
- Principal Software Engineer | DreamBox Learning - Bellevue, WA
- Electrical Engineer - Power Systems | The Aerospace Corporation - El Segundo, California
Want to include an item in this newsletter? Send the info here.