Congratulations to this year's College of Engineering award winners!
- Anna Koch: Burgess/Tektronix Award, to recognize an “outstanding senior in the College of Engineering, as judged by a variety of activities beyond just academic performance.”
- Evgenia V. Chunikhina: Graduate Teaching Assistant Award, rewarding efforts “beyond the level normally expected of a GTA.”
- Annette von Jouanne: Research Award, recognizing “sustained, unusually significant and meritorious achievement in research and scholarship.”
- Ted Brekken: Loyd Carter Award, recognizing faculty for “outstanding and inspirational teaching” as voted by members of the junior and senior class in the College of Engineering.
NOT NEWS, BUT OF INTEREST
OSU Ecampus named best online education program in Oregon
The Ecampus distance education program at Oregon State University has been named the best online college in Oregon by TheBestSchools.org, an organization that provides in-depth ranking of degree programs, colleges and universities. The rankings are based on academic excellence, faculty strength, online teaching methods, awards, the number of programs offered and other criteria, organization officials said. OSU news release
DOT: Do One Thing to better the world; Join the movement!
You can make a difference and help to improve the community and world we share. The DOT initiative inspires OSU community members to take action to better the world and encourages them to make commitments to create positive social change. Be part of the movement! Learn more about the DOT initiative and declare your DOT here: http://oregonstate.edu/cce/DOT. And check out this DOT video!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3hCKmOUW38
The OSL is kicking off DevOps BootCamp this year with the brand new DevOps DayCamp!
DevOps DayCamp is a dual-track day with one track to help inexperienced attendees get started with DevOps, as well as a second track comprised of a hands-on hackathon with educational sessions throughout the day for the more advanced DevOps crowd. Sessions will be given by industry professionals and will include Ansible, Travis CI and Docker. Join us on October 11th at 9am in the Kelley Engineering Center. For more information check out osl.io/devopsdaycamp.
Design a web site this Fall! The CS 195 Beginning Web Authoring course will teach you the basics of web site development:
- Design and production with HTML5, CSS3, and PHP
- Graphic design and image optimization
- Site management
- Online promotion
In just 11 weeks, you'll have a functional web site for the topic of your choice. Build a site for your portfolio, club, or friends and family. No textbook cost or lab fees! Sign up right away! 4 Credits.
Are you savvy? Enroll in WGSS 320 Gender & Technology to meet the BACC Science Technology Synthesis requirements through meaningful activities:
- Research and write about the social and economic impacts of women in the technology industry.
- See technology products through a Gender Lens.
- Discuss trends in STEM and STEAM.
- Learn to add your research and writing to a web site.
- Plan for your greatest dream!
No textbook cost! 3 credits. Offered online. http://people.oregonstate.edu/~vanlondp/wgss320/
Need Graduate Credit? Then take the WGSS 525 version of Gender & Technology. 3 credits. Offered online.
New Course: ECE 599 - Bioelectronic Systems and Devices
Fall 2014 - MWF 15:00-15:50
This course will provide a somewhat high-level look at bioelectronics, primarily from an applications perspective. Topics will include electrical and physical interfaces with biological systems, protein and DNA biosensors, device micro/nanofabrication, implantable electronics, neuronal interfaces, biological energy harvesting, and CMOS-based biosensor platforms. We will focus on applications in DNA sequencing, molecular diagnostics, ubiquitous monitoring, implantable systems, microfluidic handling, and lab-on-chip integration methods. Details
WiN 2014 Expo: Pre-startup Innovations-Free Booth-Space Limited - Apply Now!
Are you an OSU Entrepreneur looking for an opportunity to showcase your innovation? The Willamette Innovators Network is casting for its upcoming 2014 Expo (November 6th). WiN helps small and mid-sized traded sector companies share, learn, and connect for success. Participation is free for all pre-startup innovations, space is limited. Get exposed to venture capitalist and gaining valuable experience. To apply contact Betty Nickerson, Expo Coordinator at email@example.com, 541-368-5205 by October 20.
Solve real company problems to win job opportunities, gain experience, and earn cash. MindSumo challenges are a great opportunity to get work experience by applying the skills you're learning in classes, win cash prizes, and prove yourself to potential employers.
Google Announces Million-Dollar Engineering Challenge
Google is offering $1 million to anyone who can take a power inverter — a device used to convert energy that comes from solar, electric vehicles, and wind — and shrink it to 1/10th its normal size. Such devices are normally the size of a picnic basket. It’s called the Little Box Challenge, and it’s being offered in partnership with IEEE. According to the blog, “A smaller inverter could help create low-cost microgrids in remote parts of the world. Or allow you to keep the lights on during a blackout via your electric car’s battery. Or enable advances we haven’t even thought of yet.” The challenge requires teams to register by September 30, 2014 in order to submit a technical approach and application by July of next year. Details
Spirit of Innovation Challenge
The Conrad Spirit of Innovation Challenge invites teams of students to combine education, innovation and entrepreneurship by creating commercially viable products in sustainability to benefit humanity. They work in four categories: aerospace and aviation, cyber security, energy, and health. Winning students are not only named Pete Conrad Scholars, but have a chance at being awarded seed grants, scholarships, patent support, and other opportunities to turn their ideas into small businesses. For the first year, the competition is open to university students, college-age active military, and veterans ages 19-25. The 2015 challenge starts off with teams submitting an investor pitch from mid-August to mid-October 2014. Details
New in Fall 2014: Network Methods in Bioinformatics (CS 419/519)
This course will give you experience in: biological network inference; biological network analysis and modeling; applications of computer science in biology/biomedicine. Details
Lemelson-MIT National Collegiate Student Prize
Lemelson-MIT National Collegiate Student Prize Competition honors promising collegiate inventors around the country. The student prize competition is open to teams of undergraduate students and individual graduate students who have inventions in categories that represent significant sectors of the economy: healthcare and consumer technologies. Application deadline: Friday, January 30, 2015. Details
Thursday, October 2, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM, Burt 193. PhD Oral Preliminary Examination – Alex Wiggins. Major Advisor: Mike Bailey; Committee: Mark Abbott, Ron Metoyer, Alex Groce; GCR: Mike Olson. "Adaptive Power-Aware Distributed Computer Architecture for Long-Duration Autonomous Vehicle Systems." Details
Monday, October 13, 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM, KEC 1003. "High-technology R&D: Personal views on options for Science & Engineering students outside of academia" presented by Jeff Childress; Research Staff Member & Manager, Sensor Materials & Technology; San Jose Research Center; HGST, a Western Digital company. Details
Future Engineers Scholarship Program
One winner will receive a $5,000 scholarship to be used toward eligible expenses for tuition, fees, books, and room and board during the 2015 calendar year. Candidates must be full-time students at the time of application submittal, pursuing a degree at an accredited institution of higher education in the United States or Canada during the calendar year, and be accepted into the School of Engineering. Scholarships will not be awarded to 1st Year undergraduate students, or those 4th Year undergraduate students who will be graduating on or before June of the award year. Application deadline: October 15, 2014. Details
Richard E. Merwin Student Scholarship
IEEE Computer Society is offering $40,000 in student scholarships from $1,000 and up to recognize and reward active student volunteer leaders in student branches or chapters who show promise in their academic and professional efforts. Graduate students, and those in the final two years of an undergraduate program in electrical or computer engineering, computer science, or a well-defined computer related field of engineering who are active members of a student branch or chapter are eligible. IEEE Computer Society membership is required. Application deadline: October 31. Details
IEEE Charles LeGeyt Fortescue Scholarship
The scholarship carries a stipend of up to US$24,000 and is awarded for one year of full-time graduate work in electrical engineering at an engineering school of recognized standing located in the US. To be eligible, the student must be a permanent resident of the US, have majored in the field of electrical engineering, and have received a bachelor's degree from an engineering college of recognized standing. The scholarship will be awarded to a first-year full-time graduate student only. Application deadline: November 15, 2014. Details
IEEE Life Members Graduate Study Fellowship in Electrical Engineering
The fellowship is awarded annually to a first year, full-time graduate student for work in the area of electrical engineering at an engineering school/program of recognized standing worldwide. The award carries a stipend of US$10,000 per year. Application deadline: November 15. Details
IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society Graduate Fellowships
US$5,000 for a graduate student wishing to pursue graduate degree in microwave engineering on a full-time basis from a reputable institution of higher education. Both the student and faculty member must be a member of MTT-S. Application deadline: November 30. Details
AfterCollege scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate that they will be exemplary candidates in their field. Applicants are evaluated with the eye of a hiring manager, so: watch your grammar, keep it relevant, put your best accomplishments forward and you may get paid for thinking about your future! This quarter's deadline to apply for AfterCollege scholarships is Tuesday, September 30.
NSA Mathematics & Computer Science Student Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students pursuing a degree in computer science, computer engineering, or mathematics. Must be a U.S. citizen. Minimum 3.0 GPA. Details
AfterCollege Engineering Student Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students working toward a degree in any field of engineering. Minimum 3.0 GPA. Details
STEM Inclusion Scholarship
$1,000 - Open to currently enrolled students working toward a degree in a field of Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics from a group underrepresented in their field of study. Minimum 3.0 GPA. Details
JOB SEARCH AND CAREER ADVICE
What Did You Earn At Your Last Job?
As soon as the topic of compensation comes up on a job search, you're likely to get the question "What were you earning at your last job?" You have to be ready for it. LinkedIn
OSU Career Services
The new Beaver Careers is live and you can login, update your profile, and begin setting appointments, searching jobs and connecting with off-campus employers! Details
Corvallis High School tutoring center is looking for tutors who can help students in math, science, English, or any other subjects. Tutors are expected meet students approximately 90 minutes a week. CHS tutoring center is open M/W 8:00-3:05, T/TH 8:00-2:25, F 8:00-2:35. Please contact Chieko Weiler at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-757-5926 for details.
WR 327 for Engineers Undergraduate Teaching Assistant: Fall 2014, OSU College of Engineering. The College of Engineering needs undergraduate teaching assistants (UGTAs) for the Fall 2014 sections of Writing 327 for Engineers (WR 327-E). These are paid positions and involve about 5 hours per week. Details
Computing Helpdesk Consultant, OSU College of Forestry. The major duties of this position include providing telephone, electronic and in-person support to computer users; assisting users with software questions; installing, configuring, and troubleshooting hardware at a component level; maintenance of computer laboratories. Details
Energy Analyst, OSU Energy Efficiency Center. Tour regional manufacturing facilities, collect data and prepare engineering recommendations for industrial clients to improve energy efficiency, reduce waste generation, and increase profitability. The OSU Energy Efficiency Center is hiring Sophomore and Junior engineering students with excellent technical aptitude, and a proven ability to apply themselves, learn new technologies, work independently, and complete assignments in a timely manner. Details
COSINE Helpdesk Worker, OSU College of Science. Research, troubleshoot, and answer computing questions. Platforms: Current versions of Windows, OSX, and Unix/Linux. Software: MS Office & Office Suites; Web Browsers; E-Mail clients; SSH & FTP; Anti-Virus; Math, Science, and Statistical academic software. Networking: TCP/IP, File Storage & Sharing, User account maintenance. Hardware: Test & Replace PC components. Details
Computer and Web Support Assistant, OSU Extension and Experiment Station Communications. Posting content to web sites, link checking, and working with multimedia. Assisting with computer maintenance, including installing software and other related projects. Adding content and images to databases, converting web documents to alternate formats. Details
Bechtel starts their internship recruitment VERY early – and are usually done just about the time our students arrive on campus. Our university hire positions are for those who have recently graduated or will be graduating from a university, and are looking to launch their career. Our internship positions are great for current students who are a year or two away from graduation. Regional programs and opportunities are available in a variety of fields. There’s a good chance we have an opportunity that’s just right for you. Details
Intel has a broad range of BS, MS and PhD opportunities in the following technical disciplines: Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science. Intel offers multiple programs that allow you to try out a variety of roles, gain a wide range of experience, and explore multiple opportunities. Visit Intel’s Student Center and check out what’s in store for you. Also, make sure you don’t miss your chance to chat with Intel’s hiring teams at a local campus near you! Visit our Recruiting Events Calendar today to find out when we’ll be in your neck of the woods! If we are not able to visit your particular school, don’t worry, you will still have an opportunity to connect with us virtually. Details
Internship and Career Opportunities at Kaiser Permanente. Lay the groundwork for a dynamic future with an industry leader. At Kaiser Permanente, you'll forge lasting relationships with colleagues across the organization while enjoying the opportunity to grow your experience and hone your expertise on assignments that have real impact. Our interns and employees have worked on everything from analyzing financial software and developing new marketing strategies, to designing mobile apps and helping clinicians improve care delivery.We want you to get the most out of your time here-and will give you projects that challenge you to think freely, question thoroughly, and explore deeply. If you have a background in accounting, communications, finance, IT, or marketing-or if you're simply interested in impacting the future of care-we invite you to explore internship and career opportunities at Kaiser Permanente. Details
Engineering Intern/Co-Op, Georgia-Pacific. Interns will be placed into one of the following roles: Process Engineering, Project Engineering, Reliability Engineering, Process Control Engineering, Environmental Health and Safety, or Information Technology. Basic Qualifications: Completed at least one year of coursework in: Chemical Engineering, Pulp or Paper Science, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Industrial Engineering or related disciplines; Application of Safety Procedures; Willingness to work in a tobacco free environment. Details
Entry Level Engineer, Georgia-Pacific. Entry-Level Engineers generally will be placed into one of the following roles: Process Engineering, Project Engineering, Reliability Engineering, Process Control Engineering or Research and Development. Basic Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree or higher in Chemical, Electrical, Materials, Mechanical, Civil, Industrial, Manufacturing, Environmental, Reliability, Systems or other Engineering; previous internship, co-op or work experience in an engineering discipline. Details
Analyst Programmer, competency level 2, Extended Campus, Oregon State University. The Web Developer provides programming and multimedia support for OSU Extended Campus programmatic and course needs. This position works as part of the Course Development and Training team, collaborating with faculty, administrators and other clients to design and develop instructional technology and other web-based educational resources for courses and modules. This Web Developer designs, develops, tests, implements, and maintains web and multimedia applications. This position collaborates with colleagues in OSU Extended Campus and other partners to design and assemble the programming and media necessary to carry out design plans as conceived by assigned instructional designers. Details
Partial list of jobs posted in the past week through LinkedIn (these are just a few of the hundreds of jobs listed). Sample jobs:
- Software Application Developer - C#, ASP.NET | The Woodmansee Group - Eugene, Oregon Area
- Software Developer | PacificSource Health Plans - Springfield, Oregon
- Web Developer (Analyst Programmer 2) | Swanson Group - Corvallis, Oregon
- Front End Application Developer | PH Tech - Salem, Oregon
- Coldfusion developer | eLinks - Salem, Oregon
- Technology Services System Engineer | Target Campus - Albany, OR
- PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER | Tyco Electronics - Wilsonville, Oregon
- Entry-Level Applications Engineer | Maxim Integrated - HILLSBORO, OR
- Platform Power Delivery Engineer | Intel - Hillsboro, OR
- DevOps Engineer for High Performance Computing | Intel - Hillsboro, OR
- FI Discipline Engineer | Intel - Hillsboro, OR
- Electrical Engineer | U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Portland, Oregon
- Electrical Engineer | Cundiff Engineering Inc - Portland, Oregon
- Graphics/HTML5 Developer | Jaguar Land Rover North America - Portland, OR
- Linux Build System Engineer | Jaguar Land Rover North America - Portland, OR
- Junior Network Engineer | EasyStreet - Beaverton, OR
- Electrical Engineer | Leidos - Portland, Oregon
- Software Developer - Android | Esri - Portland, Oregon
- Associate Software Developer | WebMD - Portland, Oregon
- .NET Software Developer | WebMD - Portland, Oregon
- Systems Engineer | FEI - Hillsboro, Oregon
- Product Development Engineer-PQA | FEI - Hillsboro, Oregon
- Web Data Visualization Developer | TekPartners, a P2P Company - Portland, Oregon
- Web API Developer | DualSpark - Portland, Oregon
- Application and DevOps Engineer | DualSpark - Portland, Oregon
- Linux Software Developer | Asentria Corporation - Medford, Oregon Area
- Software Development Engineer - Web and Platform | BigOven - Medford, Oregon Area
- Software Development Engineer - Android | BigOven - Medford, Oregon Area
- Front-end User Interface Designer / Developer | Pathable, Inc. - Medford, Oregon Area
- Mobile Developer | DoubleDown Interactive - Medford, Oregon Area
- Electrical Field Engineer - Future Opportunity - Central Region | Emerson Network Power - Medford, Oregon Area
- C++ Software Engineer | ThousandEyes - San Francisco, California
- Java Software Engineer (Full Stack) | ThousandEyes - San Francisco, California
- Animation Programmer | Rockstar - Carlsbad, California
- Audio Programmer | Rockstar - Carlsbad, California
- Gameplay Programmer | Rockstar - Carlsbad, California
- Physics Programmer | Rockstar - Carlsbad, California
- Software Engineer in Test | Elementum - Mountain View, California
- Security Engineer | Elementum - Mountain View, California
- New Grad - Software Engineer (Starting 2015) | Visa - Foster City, CA
- New Grad - Software Engineer — API Developer (For Immediate Hire) | Visa - San Francisco, CA
- Salesforce Developer | Yellow Pages - San Francisco, CA
- SCM Intern-Spring 2015 | Ericsson - San Jose, CA
- Associate Web Developer – Entry Level | LinkedIn - San Francisco Bay Area
- Site Reliability Engineer – Entry-Level | LinkedIn - San Francisco Bay Area
- Hardware I Engineer (Intern) - Development | Cisco - San Jose, CA
- Software I Engineer Insieme (Intern) - Development | Cisco - San Jose, CA
- Entry-Level Applications Engineer - Power Circuit Modeling | Maxim Integrated - SAN JOSE, CA
- Data Engineer - Analytics, Intern/Co-op | Facebook - Menlo Park, CA
- Development Engineer | Apple - Santa Clara, California
- Junior Build and Release Engineer | LG Electronics - Santa Clara, California
- Electrical Engineer – Wind & Solar | DNV GL - Oakland, California
- Software QA Engineer (Sports)! Interviewing | Worldlink - San Jose, California
Don’t forget to check out the AfterCollege job site, tailored especially for our EECS students:
Want to include an item in this newsletter? Send the info here.