To be a reliable, trustworthy, and friendly peer resource assisting students in their current and future endeavors.
In partnership with the School of EECS and its academic advisors, the Peer Mentors are OSU students who provide assistance with class scheduling, internship and career planning, and general questions in a safe, friendly environment.
A Peer Mentor is a current EECS student who is outgoing and friendly that has been trained to help students with any questions they have about the department. If they do not know the answer to a question then they can direct the student to the appropriate resource. Some common questions include:
- How do I fill out a 2-year plan?
- How do I change majors?
- How do I add or drop a class?
- What is this registration error?
- What is Pro-School like?
- How do I get into Pro-School?
- What is MECOP?
- How do I get into MECOP?
- What are the different options for computer science?
- What can I expect to learn from this class?
- What are useful resources to help me succeed?
As students, the Peer Mentors are able to share their experiences in many areas of EECS as well as other areas of OSU, whether that's classes, internships, clubs, or other opportunities.
To reach a Peer Mentor go to the EECS main office located in the Kelley Engineering Center.
Become a Peer Mentor
- Provide support and assistance with online registration for current students and assist prospective students.
- Assist with student orientation programs throughout the academic year including summer START orientations.
- Regularly communicate with prospective students.
- Peer advise students on a walk-in basis.
- ECE or CS Major
- Maintain 2.75 or greater GPA
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively present and communicate to audiences of all sizes (one-on-one or in large group settings).
- Hiring preference to students who can work part or all of summer term.
- Earn minimum wage for part-time employment with the EECS Academic Advising staff.
- Increased knowledge of Oregon State University and the School of EECS.
- Prestige associated with serving on a team of highly motivated and respected undergraduates.
- Opportunity to positively contribute to the School's student recruitment efforts.
- Valuable work experience supporting personal and professional development that enhances professional resumés and interviewing skills.
- Increased understanding of personal strengths and limitations.
- Development of leadership skills for future careers.
The Peer Mentor Application is opened near the beginning of Spring term every year to hire new mentors for Summer terms and the upcoming school year in Fall.
EECS Peer Mentor Facebook Page
Have a quick question that you would like to ask but can't make it into our office hours? Post your question on our Facebook page and we will try our best to answer it in a timely manner.