NOT NEWS, BUT OF INTEREST
New owner plans to restart production at Eugene chip factory that once employed 1,400
An idle semiconductor factory in Eugene got a new owner Thursday who plans to restart production, a remarkable turnaround after seven years in which it seemed the shuttered site might be destined for oblivion. Singapore-based Avago Technologies revealed that it's the mystery buyer who paid $21 million for Hynix's old chip factory, empty since 2008. The Oregonian
Oregon tech's outpost economy: Feeding or stunting the Silicon Forest?
Nearly all the biggest names in technology have footholds in the Portland area. What Portland doesn't have is a single big-name tech company of its own. What is new is a flurry of deals, this year and last, that put out-of-state owners in charge of Oregon companies. That has the tech community and state economists engaged in a fresh debate about whether the outpost economy is feeding Oregon's tech ecosystem, or stunting it. The Oregonian Also: Silicon Forest outposts: Who they are, what they do
Computer Science projects from MindSumo
MindSumo partners with employers to create projects that you can complete to get work experience, win prizes, and be hired for jobs and internships. Questions can be directed to email@example.com.
Cognitive Computing Challenge
This is a $200,000 USD incentive prize to build a cognitive system that can read a document, then accurately load a database with what it finds. Essentially, to teach a computer to mimic the human brain. Currently, a huge amount of information is locked in written documents which is read and analyzed manually by humans. The solution to this challenge will eliminate repetitive tasks, reduce time and minimize errors. This world-wide challenge is sponsored by Dynamic Risk, whose focus is to improve pipeline safety and reduce environmental impact. However, this technology has broader applications across industries such as healthcare, security and emergency response. Submission deadline: January 11, 2016.
Regression Methods in Semantic Segmentation, Video Object Discovery and Tracking
Monday, November 16, 4:00 PM - 4:50 PM, KEC 1003
Fuxin Li, Assistant Professor
School of EECS, Oregon State University
Magnetic Nanowires: Revolutionizing Hard Drives, RAM, and Cancer Treatment
Thursday, November 19, 3:00pm to 3:50pm, KEC 1007
Bethanie Stadler, Professor
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Minnesota
Revisit Die-stacking Architecture: Are we there yet?
Thursday, Nov 19, 3:30 p.m. talk, refreshments following talk, 220 Deschutes Hall (Colloquium Room), University of Oregon
Note: This is NOT part of the EECS colloquium series.
Yuan Xie, Professor, University of California, Santa Barbara
Computing for Humans
Monday, November 30, 4:00pm to 4:50pm, KEC 1003
Vicki Hanson, Distinguished Professor
College of Computing and Information Sciences, Rochester Institute of Technology
MS Final Examination – Yunqi Wang
Design of 77GHz CMOS Digitally-Controlled Oscillator
Monday, November 23, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM, KEC 4107
Major Advisor: Arun Natarajan; Committee: Un-Ku Moon, Huaping Liu, GCR: Thomas Schmidt
Robotics Seminar Series
Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2-3 pm, Rogers Hall 226
This week's first Robotics Seminar Series lecture features Dr. Brad Hayes of MIT. The talk is entitled "Supportive Behaviors for Human-Robot Teaming." Coffee and pastries served.
Robotics Seminar Series
Friday, Nov. 20, 10-11 am, Rogers Hall 226
This week's second Robotics Seminar Series lecture features Dr. DuPont of OSU. The talk is the second in the "Best Practices for Graduate Student Researchers" series and will focus on communicating your work. Coffee and pastries served.
New Faces of Engineering - College Edition
This award recognizes the best and brightest whose academic successes and experiences in the engineering field have positioned them to make an impact. You must be a member of a participating engineering society. You must be an undergraduate engineering student (3rd, 4th, 5th year). You must have a track record of engineering experiences (i.e., internships, volunteer, or work related). Your grade point average must be 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale (or 4.0 or higher on a 5.0 scale). Applications are due on Friday November 20, 2015.
National Security Agency Mathematics & Computer Science Student Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students pursuing a degree in the field of electrical engineering. Must be a U.S. Citizen. Minimum 3.0 GPA. Application deadline: December 31.
AfterCollege Engineering Student Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students working toward a degree (AA,AS,AAS, BA,BS, MS, PhD) in a field of engineering. Minimum 3.0 GPA. Application deadline: December 31.
AfterCollege STEM Inclusion Scholarship
$500 - Open to currently enrolled students working toward a degree in a field of Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics from a group underrepresented in their field of study. Underrepresented groups may be defined by: gender, race, ethnic background, disability, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, nationality and other non-visible differences. Minimum 3.0 GPA. Application deadline: December 31.
JOB SEARCH AND CAREER ADVICE
5 Things You Didn't Know You Could Negotiate When Relocating for a Job
While the days of Cartier-style, full-blown relocation packages and outright home purchases for high-demand employees have passed, there are still relocation benefits worth asking and negotiating for before you accept a job out-of-state. The Muse
The do's and don'ts of your LinkedIn photo
LinkedIn is riddled with questionable profile pictures that undermine our ability to present ourselves professionally. You will never have a second chance to make a favorable first impression when it counts the most. Your LinkedIn photo is often what people see first and judge in a New York minute. Portland Business Journal
This Tiny Little Writing Fix Can Completely Change How Others Perceive You
Whether you’re filling out job applications or putting together a huge presentation for work, it’s a no-brainer that you want to impress others with your intelligence. While you can achieve this through a variety of means, many professionals simply turn to using big words. But guess what? The Muse
OSU Virtual Career Fairs for Students and Alumni
Meet and network with employers interested in hiring OSU students and alumni. Hosted by Oregon State Ecampus, The OSU Career Development Center and OSU Alumni Association, these virtual career fairs offer an excellent opportunity to connect one-on-one with employers. These events are virtual, so all you need is a computer and an internet connection. On the day of the event, simply login and "get in line" to chat with a recruiters.
Staff Engineer/Senior Staff Engineer of Hardware Technologies, Tyfone
Primary responsibilities include CMOS circuit design, near-field coupling design, simulations, documentation and presentation. Responsibilities will also include supporting senior staff with manufacturing, design, engineering with existing stakeholders within the company. Extended responsibilities will include implementation all SOC architecture and select discrete implementations that precede the SOC implementation. Implementation will span but not limited to analog and mixed-signal SOC designs; PCB, FPGA, firmware designs; modelling and optimization; simulation and lab testing; system validation and thorough documentation; and coordination of such activities with external partners.
Computer Programmer, Office of Research and Development, EPA
Candidate shall assist in designing, building, testing and maintaining a new database inventory of community sustainability tools. In addition, the candidate may be asked to assist in other tool building efforts as well. Responsibilities will include: Working with other contractors designing and implementing initial tool prototypes. Working with EPA staff to design, implement and test multiple tool interfaces. Working with possible users of tools to create use cases and design requirements. Working with researchers to become familiar with decision making and natural resource management. Writing documentation for the tools. Implementing new tool features and bug fixes.
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Australian National University
The Research School of Computer Science at the Australian National University (ANU) is one of the premier computer science research institutions in the country with a worldwide reputation for excellence. The School is seeking applications from ambitious researchers for two or more positions at academic level B or C. These "tenure track" positions will be offered under the College's Ongoing Position Program (OPP), with an initial appointment of five years and a commitment to convert to continuing subject only to performance. During this period, and particularly at level B, the teaching workload will initially be reduced in order for the appointee to establish their research career.
Tenure-track Position in Computer Science, UC Berkeley
Applicants are required to have received (or expect to receive within one year of appointment) a Ph.D. or equivalent degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field. Additional qualifications include evidence of ability to establish and pursue a program of high quality research and a strong commitment to graduate and undergraduate teaching. Prioritizing candidates' overall originality and promise over sub-area of specialization, we seek applicants interested in creating innovative and far-reaching solutions to important problems in all areas of computer science.
Partial list of jobs posted in the past week through LinkedIn (these are just a few of the hundreds of jobs listed). Sample jobs:
- Machine Learning Engineer | PitchBook Data, Inc. - Greater Seattle Area
- Deployment Engineer | Robert Half Technology - Seattle, WA
- Software Engineer | Robert Half Technology - Seattle, WA
- Network Administrator | Robert Half Technology - McMinnville, OR
- Software Design Engineer (early career) | Radiant Vision Systems - Greater Seattle Area
- Software Developer | Mavensoft Technologies - Beaverton, OR
- Computer Systems Engineer | Mavensoft Technologies - Beaverton, OR
- Digital Circuit Designer | Intel - Hillsboro, OR
- Magnetic Component Engineer | Intel - Hillsboro, OR
- Software Dev Engineer - Mobile Ads Placements | Amazon - Seattle, WA
- Support Engineer - Amazon Echo | Amazon - Seattle, WA
- AWS Lambda Software Engineer | Amazon - Seattle, WA
- Software Development Engineer – Computational Advertising | Amazon - Seattle, WA
- MediaTech Summer 2016 Internship | NBCUniversal, Inc. - Seattle, WA
- Product Engineer-Digital Innovation Group | Providence Health & Services - Seattle, WA
- EO&T Flight Engineering Summer Intern (Paid) - Summer 2016 (multiple locations) | The Boeing Company - Tukwila WA
- EO&T Software Engineering Summer Intern (Paid) - Summer 2016 (multiple locations) | The Boeing Company - Seattle WA
- EO&T Applied Math & Computer Science Engineering Intern - Summer 2016 (multiple locations) | The Boeing Company - Seattle WA
- MEMS Process Engineering Intern | HP - Corvallis
- Big Data Business Analyst Intern | HP - Corvallis
- Advanced Technology Platforms & Solutions Internship | HP - Corvallis
- Research & Development Engineering Student Intern | HP - Corvallis
- Silicon Systems Electrical Engineering Intern | HP - Corvallis
- Engineer 1 - Enterprise Information | Nordstrom - Seattle, WA
- Intern - Embedded Software Engineer | NXP Semiconductors - Vancouver, WA
- Electrical Power Systems Study Engineer - Future Opportunity - Central Region | Emerson Network Power - Portland, OR
- Software Engineer Intern - Summer 2016 | Garmin International - Salem, OR
- Aviation Design Engineer Intern - 2016 | Garmin International - Salem, OR
- Aircraft Systems Engineer 1 - Aircraft Certification | Garmin International - Salem, OR
- Software Engineer (entry level) | Rosen Aviation - Gresham, OR
- Android Engineer | Bloomz Inc - Redmond, WA
- Silicon Validation Debug Tools Engineer | Apple - Santa Clara, CA
- Network Process and Design Verification Intern - Summer 2016 | Ericsson - San Jose, California
- Physical Design Intern-Spring 2016 | Ericsson - San Jose, California
- WLAN System Engineer | Qualcomm - San Jose, CA
- Product Development Engineer | Qualcomm - San Jose, CA
- System on a Chip Integration Engineer | Intel Corporation - Folsom, CA
- Product Engineering Rotation Program | Texas Instruments - San Francisco, CA
- Electrical Engineer 1 | Black & Veatch - Dublin, CA
- Electrical Engineer - Future or Recent Grad | Raytheon - Arizona, California, Massachusetts, Texas and more
- Hardware Engineer Intern | HP - Palo Alto, CA
Don’t forget to check out the AfterCollege job site, tailored especially for our EECS students:
- Big Data Interns (multiple openings) | MedeAnalytics | Emeryville, California
- Coop, Software Development | Thermo Fisher Scientific - Niton Corp. | Carlsbad, California
- Associate Test Engineer, Account & Commerce, Battle.net | Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. | Irvine, California
- Mobile Platform Admin Developer | SAP | Dublin, CA
- Junior SAP Infrastructure Developer - Cloud Analytics | SAP | Vancouver, BC
- Customer Profile Test Engineer | VMware | Palo Alto, California
- Application Engineer I | Honeywell International Inc. | Phoenix, Arizona
- Systems Engineer I | Honeywell International Inc. | Phoenix, Arizona
- Database Analyst I | University of Southern California | Los Angeles, California
- Coop, Software Development | Life Technologies | Carlsbad, California
- FY16 Graduate Applications Engineer- Healthcare and Consumer | Analog Devices, Inc. | Austin, Texas
- Software Engineer, University Grad – Applications (Oculus) | Facebook | Menlo Park, California
- Software Engineer, University Grad - SDK (Oculus) | Facebook | Menlo Park, California
- Systems Engineering Internships @ Qualcomm (Summer 2016) | Qualcomm | San Diego, California
- RSA Associate Software QA Engineer | EMC Corporation | Menlo Park, California
- Technical Engineer | LMI Aerospace | San Diego, California
- Electrical Engineer - Power | BWXT | Idaho Falls, Idaho
- Full-Stack Software Developer, Stanford Law School | Stanford University | Stanford, California
- Entry Level PHP Developer | Internet Brands, Inc. | Los Angeles, California
- Associate Guidance Navigation & Control Engineer | Alliant Techsystems | Gilbert, Arizona
- IC Design Engineer (NCG) | Altera Corporation | San Jose, California
- New Graduate Software Engineer - Cloud Management | A10 networks | Boise, Idaho
- Information Security Engineer, Junior | Booz Allen Hamilton Inc. | Los Angeles, California
- Software Developer - 2016 Campus Graduate | Hulu | Santa Monica, California
- [Summer Session] Sound Tech - Platform Development Intern | Dolby Sound | San Francisco, California
Want to include an item in this newsletter? Send the info here.