CS 225 Samina Ehsan
Upon entering this class, we expect all students to (red text = math expectations):
- Know types of numbers and their properties: real numbers, integers (odd and even), natural numbers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, prime numbers, and perfect square numbers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_types_of_numbers
- Understand the associative, commutative, and distributive properties of numbers
- Know how to expand terms: (x+4)(x-1) = x2 + 3x - 4
- Know how to find a common factor: 6x2 - 2x = 2x(3x-1)
- Know how to factor quadratic polynomials. For example, know how to factor the quadratic equation x2 + 7x + 6 into (x+1)(x+6). http://www.purplemath.com/modules/factquad.htm
- Know algebraic formulas: square binomial, cube binomial, difference of squares etc.
- Know what factorials (the exclamation mark operator, !) are and how to compute them:
- x ! = x * (x-1) * (x-2) . . . *3 * 2 * 1
- Know that (x+1) ! = (x+1) * x !
- Know the laws of exponents: xa * xb = xa+b ; xa / xb = xa-b ; (xa)b = xab ; x-a = 1/xa
- Know that 2x * 2 = 2x+1
- Know the laws of fractional exponents: sqrt(x) = x1/2
- Know about arithmetic and geometric progressions
- Be able to solve inequalities, for example, “if x - 6 > 12, what values can x have”?
- Fractions: know how to multiply fractions:
A / B * C / D = AC / BD
- Fractions: know how to add and subtract fractions by creating a common denominator:
A / B + C / D = AD + CB / BD
mjb – July 5, 2017