Our research deals with various aspects of information representation, transmission, processing, and understanding. Collectively, we develop novel theories, tools, algorithms, and systems for solving a variety of real-world problems that encompass multiple disciplines ranging from parallel computing and cognitive networks to coding theory and eco-informatics. Our core strength includes channel coding and network coding theories, video compression and transmission, probabilistic modeling and reasoning, MIMO systems and wireless cognitive networks, stochastic systems and statistical signal processing.
Our application area spans a broad range of industries from computing and entertainment to health and environmental monitoring. For example, researchers in our group are actively working on future massive distributed system for storage and delivery of videos over the Internet, wireless cognitive networks, limited magnitude error correcting codes for use in flash memories, system for automatic acquisition and classification of bird species via bird recordings, high-precision 3-dimensional localization using ultra-wide band signal for manufacturing and health care industries.
Networking and Computer Systems
- Cellular and mobile networks
- Cloud and mobile computing
- Computer architecture
- Error control coding
- Low-power system design
- Mobile wireless networks
- Multimedia systems
- Network coding theory and applications
- Network resource optimization and management
- Network security and data privacy
- Parallel and distributed computing
- VLSI architecture and design
Communication, Signal Processing, and Control
- Automatic control
- Communication theory
- Image processing and computer vision
- Machine learning and data mining
- Multimedia and congestion control
- Pattern recognition
- Probabilistic modeling and statistical inference
- Robust and optimal control
- Signal processing
- Signal processing for communications
- Statistical learning and applications in power systems, smart grid, and network security
- Statistical pattern recognition
- Wireless communications
- ECE 566: Information Theory
- ECE 550: Linear Systems
- ECE 560: Stochastic Signals and Systems
- ECE 561: Intro to Analog and Digital Communications
- ECE 562: Digital Communications and Channel Coding
- ECE 563: Wireless Communications Network
- ECE 564: Digital Signal Processing
- ECE 567: Digital Signal Processing
- ECE 568: Advanced Digital Image Processing
- ECE 669: Selected Topics In Communications and Signal Processing
- CS 527: Error-Correcting Codes
Error control codes; VLSI testing; parallel processing; fault tolerant computing; computer networks
Statistical signal processing; statistical learning theory; power systems state estimation; security of cyber physical system
Wireless systems; signal processing for communications
Networking; multimedia networking; signal processing; machine learning; data analysis and data mining
Modeling and simulation of biological and physical problems; mathematical optimization
Mobile computing; wireless networking; network management; distributed systems; cognitive networks; multiagent systems
Computer architecture; computer networks; multimedia systems; parallel architectures
Mobile wireless communications; automatic control applications; mathematical modeling of biological systems
Adaptive sensing/sampling; manifold learning; sparse representations for signal processing
Intel Networking Laboratory
- 5 high-speed network processors and routers, Planet-Lab ready, 10 Linux computers
Wireless Mesh Network Testbed
Communications System Laboratory
- High-speed digital sampling scopes, network analyzer, arbitrary waveform generators
Industry & Other Organizations
Modeling, Analysis, and Design of Next-Generation Wireless Cognitive Networks
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) foresees a shortage in spectrum supply, which prompted researchers to explore new ways of making efficient use of spectrum.
- Developed cross-layer frameworks that model and characterize fundamental limits and potentials of wireless cognitive networks.
- Designed networking protocols that enable opportunistic & dynamic bandwidth resource sharing.
- Developed coordination and learning techniques for opportunistic spectrum access.
High-Precision 3-Dimensional Localization
- Accurate location tracking of patients using novel localization algorithms using ultra-wide band signals.
- Improving structural monitoring of various airplane parts by automatic tracking of maintenance schedules.
Wireless Networking Inside a Computer Chassis
- Improve bandwidth and reliability by replacing the slow wired links with fast wireless links in a computer.
Codes for Flash Memories and Recording Media
- Designing limited magnitude and all asymmetric and symmetric error correcting codes.
- Balanced codes design.
- Efficient encoding/decoding algorithms for error control codes based on elementary symmetric functions.
- Design of new classes of interconnection networks based on Gaussian and EJ integers and design of efficient communication algorithms.
- Design of efficient communication algorithms based on edge disjoint Hamiltonian cycles for varies interconnection networks, including torus, De Bruijn, Gaussian, EJ networks, etc.
User-Behavior Based Seamless Mobility in Wireless Networks
(Lee, Chansu Yu [Cleveland State University], Myungchul Kim [KAIST])
- Provide a comprehensive, integrated solution to the latency and load balancing problem in Wireless LANs (WLANs) and infrastructure/backbone Wireless Mesh Networks (WMNs) that considers the following interrelated factors:
- Mobility history and behavior of mobile users based on their group, time-of-day, and duration characteristics.
- Dynamic characteristics of wireless medium not only between mobile users and access points but also in the wireless mesh backhaul.
- The effect of route switching has on the delay involved in delivering packets to mobile users when handoffs occur.
Future Applications of Wireless HD Video Transmission Technology
- Address several technical challenges in current and future applications of WHDVT.
- Analysis and performance evaluation of these technologies to better understand their capabilities in terms of transmission latencies and realistic data rates, and their effect on video quality.
- Development of an efficient loss tolerant video compression scheme to maximize the available bandwidth.
- Implementation of a hardware/software platform that includes the latest ARM processor and possibly FPGA to support a full array functionalities not only to integrate a couple of these technology into LG Display’s LCD displays but also to support future applications of wireless transmission of HD video.
- Investigation of a Medium Access Control (MAC) protocol to support multi-device to multi-display transmissions.
- Investigation of multi-hop transmission to extend the range of video delivery in large areas.
- Investigation of energy efficient wireless transmission of HD video.
System for Automatic Acquisition and Classification of Bird Species via Bird Recordings
- Develop system for acquisition of bird recordings.
- Develop probabilistic model for bird grammar.
- Develop machine learning algorithms for classifying bird species.
Massive Distributed System for Storage and Delivery of Videos over the Internet
- Develop novel network coding based video storage and streaming techniques for large scale distributed networked systems.
- Develop novel joint source, channel, and network coding techniques for enhancing video qualities.
Capacities of Network Coding Based Transmission in Wireless Access Networks
- Investigate the theoretical limits on the speed of network coding based transmissions in a variety of wireless communication models.